Webhead

My plans are to start and 8A next spring. Currently own a Mooney 201 and thought the 8A would be a nice move up. There is so much info out there on building I'm almost overwhelmed. Any simplified check off lists out there on things to consider from pre-purchase to final solution?

Mark

Beginning

Mark:

You will continue to be overwhelmed for quite simetime. At least I was. You have picked what I consider to be one of the best kit planes on the market. I would recommend that you start acquiring Van's Minimum tool recommendation along with suitable workspace. Avery Tool, Brown Tool or Cleveland Tool can supply what you need in a "kit" or do what I did---add to your existing tools to fill in Van's list. I'm not partial to one, I have bought from all.

Resist any temptation to buy instruments or electronics at this time---unless they're free. Things will change unbelievably by the time you begin to install them.

Read up on the kit. Get the pre-build plans and read the first part on general aircraft work and practices. Read into building instructions far enough to get confused, then wait for your empenage kit.

Your building space doesn't have to be huge. I built my wings and fuselage in a single wide 14 X 54 ft. mobile home living room. Had to scoot sideways by the fuselage jig to get to the kitchen. Aluminum shavings in the carpet meant risky barefoot work though! (No wife at the time!) Thankfully, fortunes have improved since then.

If you're not an EAA member, become one. The EAA has tons of information on all aspects of amateur aircraft building. Join a local chapter and ask questions. Quite possibly you will become friends with someone who is building an RV and can observe or even lend a hand.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. As the old saying goes: There are no dumb questions-----only dumb answers. While we're on the subject; that applies to this forum. If it doesn't seem right, get a second opinion. I'm not trying to flame anyone---I think that sometimes answers are given, before the question is fully understood. I'm certainly guilty of that too.

One character trait that will guarantee completion of your project is DETERMINATION. Do at least one chore each day. Matters not whether it is five minutes or eighteen hours, do something every day. Even looking at the plans or searching Van's or Aircraft $pruce catalog counts, do something every day. It's sort of like jogging. Stop for one day, the next day it's easier to find an excuse not to.

You are at the beginning of a great journey. Enjoy it!

Mannan Thomason
RV-8 N161RL No. One Girl
Slo-Build Four and a half years--
refuse to count the hours
49.7 hrs on the hobbs and still grinnin!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get ready

Hi Mark,
I ordered my 8A at OSH this summer. The Van's preview plans I purchased there answered many questions that I didn't even know to ask. But, before I knew it, I had parts waiting to become a plane at home, and I wasn't ready. I spent quite a bit of time cleaning and making maximum space in my basement for the kit (quickbuild) and boy I needed it. Make yourself some storage areas as well as work areas. Shelves and cabenets and even a good sized roll-a-round help keep you organized. Get your tools and make places for them to go. And, get good tools. Get some storage boxes for your parts and make a place for them to go. When you end your day of work, put your unneeded tools away.
Start organizing your information and ideas about the project as well (I'm still building the empennage but getting ideas about the lighting I want to go with). There is a lot of information floating around and it can seem a bit overwhelming, so sort it out. I had bookmarks for every 8A builder I could find on the web, and read all that they had to offer, looked at the tools that they had made and the techniques that they used. I picked things that seemed right for me and have used many good ideas of others (building a dimple table and modifying my back rivet set). When you start, you may be wanting to look at other builders work to help answer questions or provide food for thought and you'll know where to go.
I've made a simple builders log in Excel and made a computer photo album for construction photos. Be ready to take lots of photos of your work.
The answers to many questions that I've had have been answered in these builders forums so look around.
Spring will be here before long. Take the time to find builders in your area (look in the white pages on this site) and make a new friend.
Good luck,

Craig Ward
Morris Plains, NJ
8AQB

Thanks guys.

I've already started on the tool collection. That's easy when your single. :) I've been doing the annual on my Mooney for the last ten years and have accummulated a good beginning. Just built a new heated garage/shop with intention of building the 8. Need to organize shelves and build some tables but I'll get there.

I guess I need those preview plans to get a good idea what's involved. Going to school on the heels of prior RV adventurous souls really helps. Thanks for your input.

Mark
Bonners Ferry

Hi Mark:

Here is a short list of what you'll need:

1) Compressed air supply.
2) Some workbenches.
3) An empennage kit.
4) One of the tool kits (Avery, Cleaveland, etc).
5) A decent band saw (I've been using an $80.00 Delta for my project and it works just fine...just be sure to get the high TPI metal cutting blade)

That's really all you need to get started. Everything else will become evident as time goes along.

On the compressed air...there's no need to get all fancy with it. You don't need a huge $500.00 compressor to make this work. You also don't need to get fancy with PVC plumbing, etc. I simply bought a decent hose, put some 'eye screws' into the ceiling and voila...works perfectly. Also moving the drop-down location is very simple.

You can read more about my setup here.

But most importantly...you have to start if you're ever going to finish! :D

Best,

Sign-up for one of the builder's workshops - Sportair, Synergy Air, etc. That will give you a good understanding of the tools and processes. It will also boost your confidence and motivate you to get started.

Ditto on the comments about working on it some every day.

Building one of these birds is a ton of fun - even on a bad day.