oneway

I figured this is the place for my answers so here I go. please, I would appreciate your opinion: I am actively searcing for a built vans aircraft. My reasoning is that I want a 2 place resonable x-contry affordable, safe, easy to transition ( pa28/c172/c152)aircraft. I "think" I want an rv6a, based on bang for the buck and the nose gear ( no tailwheel experience). I have gone for a ride in an rv6a and took the stick for a while. loved it. questions:
1. do you think I am on the right track, or should I think about another model?
2. do I have any real reason to shy away from the tail dragger? I'll get training in whatever I get.
3.I know the vans line is designed around the lycoming engines. what engine/propeller combination do you regard as the best and why?
4.electric or manual flaps and trim? pros and cons?
5.leaning towards an IFR platform for initial training. good or bad idea?who flies IFR here?stable platform ?
6.what do I look for in a used aircraft? I'm talking the big stuff here. factory built spar? certain things that must have been done or accomplished during the build? problem areas?

feel free to address any areas I can't think of yet. please, I need advice before I jump out there and buy a "wrong" aircraft. oh, and thanks in advance.

Questions that come to mind for me...What kind of flight experience do you have? Do you want to repair/work on your own airplane??? Have you ever purchased an airplane???

oneway said:
1. do you think I am on the right track, or should I think about another model?
Any RV will do, but you're for sure on the right track in looking for an RV. You will get a lot of plane for your money with the -6 or -6A since there are so many of them out there.

oneway said:
2. do I have any real reason to shy away from the tail dragger? I'll get training in whatever I get.
I bought my RV-6 with 0 hours TW time, did 10 hours with a CFI, and flew it to Oshkosh a week later. There are reasons to prefer a nosewheel, but lack of TW time is not one of them.

oneway said:
3.I know the vans line is designed around the lycoming engines. what engine/propeller combination do you regard as the best and why?
Big can of worms ready to be opened on that one! I have a Lycoming, and I like my Lycoming, but I wish I had 30 more HP than the 150hp I have. I don't feel a pressing need for a CS prop, though. My fixed Sensenich does what I need. I might feel differently if I was flying formation or had a 180hp engine.

oneway said:
4.electric or manual flaps and trim? pros and cons?
I have electric flaps and prefer them to the manual because I don't have the big bar between the seats. I'm agnostic on the trim. The manual works fine for me, but I've never tried the electric.

oneway said:
5.leaning towards an IFR platform for initial training. good or bad idea?who flies IFR here?stable platform ?
Plenty of people fly IFR in RVs, but I don't know if it would be a good training platform. That's a tough question, and you'll get a lot of different answers.

oneway said:
6.what do I look for in a used aircraft? I'm talking the big stuff here. factory built spar? certain things that must have been done or accomplished during the build? problem areas?
It wasn't a requirement for me, but I was happy to find a -6 that I wanted that had a factory built spar. It's probably irrational, but it gave me a better feeling of security knowing that vital component had been professionally built.

here's a little background. just sold a kitfox that I didn't complete because of time constraints. I'd rather fly. pic experience in c152, c172, pa28. a little over 100 hrs. currently renting a warrior. don't mind working on aircraft, but I know if I don't build it I can't do alot by myself. waiting for unusual attitude recovery training so I can expand my horizons. will take tailwheel training at the same time for the same reason. (citabria).

6/6A

Hi Gary,
You can't go wrong with either a 6 or 6A as others have said....the taildragger takes a little more training and your insurance will be somewhat higher (call them). It's still a very good 'bang-for-the-buck' since the 7s seem to bring more money because the 6s have been phased out.

Without an autopilot, IFR can be tricky with the quick roll rates and little roll stability of the short wings.

A 180 HP engine would be my choice (it was), for several reasons: High altitude and short takeoff performance, not that a 150 is slow mind you, better climb and resale value. The 180's now seem to be the preferred airplanes.

I've seen quite a few 6's and 6As on Barnstormers(.COM) for less than it would cost in today's dollars to build! I don't have any doubt that you could buy a good 6/6A and fly it for several years and get your money back out of it, if not more,
Regards,

oneway said:
but I know if I don't build it I can't do alot by myself.
Actually, you can do whatever you're comfortable with maintenance-wise. You just can't sign off the annual Condition Inspection. You only need an A&P (or the original builder if he has the repairman's certficate) which is cheaper/easier to find that the IA you'd need for a store bought plane.

MY two cents: Get the tail wheel endorsement first...You may find as I did that it is a blast compared to tricycle gear. Try and find somewone to take you for an RV ride...Best way to answer some of your questions...Also, because you are not the builder...get someone who has, or is familiar with the aircraft, and have them take a careful look before purchase...Perhaps even a "buyers check."

Also, if IFR is in your mission and Acro isn't, you might want to consider a 9 or 9a with a 160 HP. For my money a CS is a must, I think it adds an extra helping hand when flying airplanes that are as slick as the RV's, and therefore reduces pilot workload, but that is just my opinion.

Hey ONEWAY, give me a call. I'm in Tehachapi and we have several RV's flying and being built.

I sent you a Private Message with my cell number.