Phil

Well Known Member
Last Saturday a friend of mine sent me this link to a portable A/C.

http://www.planeairusa.com

I've been going back and forth with putting an A/C in the RV-10. Being in Texas and having my wife flying with me most of the time, a cool A/C for ground operations or bouncing in the summer-time thermals would make it much more comfortable for her (and me).

I've just been opposed to cost, time, weight, and finality of putting a permanent A/C in the -10. This looks to be a good middle of the road solution. Pop it in baggage compartment for summer and take it out for winter (or whenever you need the weight back).

Haven't had a chance to see one in person yet, but I'd like to.

Phil

2-100_0521.jpg

2-100_0527.jpg

PORT. A/C

I HAVE BEEN WORKING WITH THESE GUYS. GOOD PEOPLE! I AM GETTING READY TO INSTALL ONE IN OUR RV-6, JUST WAITING FOR A LARGER ALT. I HAVE WATCHED THIS UNIT IN DEVELOPMENT, IT IS SIMPLE AND IT WORKS. IT IS 36LBS. ON MY ACCURATE SCALE. I WATCHED IT PUT IN A RV-6 AFTER INITIAL INSTALL IN ABOUT 10MIN. I HAVE A UNIT AT MY HANGAR FOR INSPECTION AND DEMO. GIVE ME A CALL AT KCXO 936-443-3562 DENNIS

Just a question. Should the compressor be directly driven by the engine like the auto AC?

If it was, nothing would be portable. When a compressor is mounted to the engine; the refrigerant lines, condenser and evaporator coils are part of a permanent installation.

L.Adamson

Warm air exhaust

Paul,
It looks like they added an exhaust vent on the side of the a/c.
2-air_vent_010_crop.jpg

Jim

Last edited:
I saw the unit down at Dennis' in Conroe. Looks pretty good, draws 30-35 amps. Not too bad.

Power for the A/C Unit

I visited with Blake Broussard and saw this installation in the RV8. Clean and straightforward. This would take up the front bag bay, and you need to leave the area next to the grate clear. He has installed a 100+ amp alternator from Summit to provide enough amps down to engine idle.

What's the latest on the cooool air?

Dennis and others,

Has anyone completed an installation of one of the Planeairusa AC units? If yes, how well does it work... particularly on the ground and at lower altitudes. Info on installation/operating details?

Unfortunately, according to an email I received from Kim Fawvor, the Planeair folks won't be at Oshkosh. I was sure hoping to see one of their units in the flesh. If someone has one installed, will you be at Oshkosh? If so, when and where?

After a number of 100 degree plus days here in San Antonio (104 today), their removable unit is sure looking good..

Tom
Flying RV-4
Building RV-7A

I HAVE BEEN WORKING WITH THESE GUYS. GOOD PEOPLE! I AM GETTING READY TO INSTALL ONE IN OUR RV-6, JUST WAITING FOR A LARGER ALT. I HAVE WATCHED THIS UNIT IN DEVELOPMENT, IT IS SIMPLE AND IT WORKS. IT IS 36LBS. ON MY ACCURATE SCALE. I WATCHED IT PUT IN A RV-6 AFTER INITIAL INSTALL IN ABOUT 10MIN. I HAVE A UNIT AT MY HANGAR FOR INSPECTION AND DEMO. GIVE ME A CALL AT KCXO 936-443-3562 DENNIS

Anyone have new info on this unit? I see their ad is still on VAF front page but no user feed back. I was thinking about using one in the 7

Make an Ice Cooler for about $30 bucks

I know of one forum member who made one of the ice coolers for a few bucks. Use a small fan, a bilge pump and a transmission cooler. There are lots of plans and youtube videos on the internet.

I wish they'd answer my email...

Speaking of portable solutions, does anyone have experience with this unit?

I never got a reply either.. guess I will have to do it the ol fashion way and pick up a phone.

Sure would like to hear what others that have purchased have to say about it.