brzrkr36

I'm New Here
In the market for a new plane. Is it possible to fit a jumpseat in a RV6 or 7? I have a 3 year old, so I need something to haul 3 people when we go somewhere. Or do I just have to bite the bullet and get a 4-seater? Thanks for any insight.

Safety

There are a few old threads that you might try to find that talk about this. You might be able to fit a very small jump seat in the back, but I always worry about the safety of doing so every time I hear people talk about it. The bottom line is the plane is not necessarily designed to protect an occupant in the rear like it is front seaters, so it's anybody's guess how someone would handle a crash when sitting in the back (the biggest issue that always worries me is the fact that the front seats in aircraft are typically designed on top of structures that crush to take up the force of a crash, but the baggage compartment may not have that same safety factor).

Just food for though. Personally, I think if you need 3 seats you need to go with the RV-10.

Brandon

That assumes of course that you will really fly often as a family. If not..there are airlines that work well.

In the market for a new plane. Is it possible to fit a jumpseat in a RV6 or 7? I have a 3 year old, so I need something to haul 3 people when we go somewhere. Or do I just have to bite the bullet and get a 4-seater? Thanks for any insight.

I was one of the first to do it...early 1995.
I did what I still feel was a well designed install of a child's car seat.
My son rode in back until about 2 1/2 years old. He could have gone a little longer...maybe 3 1/2 but that would have been it.
The problem isn't weight, it is height (the distance from the baggage floor to the canopy isn't all that far).
For everything to fit the seat has to be mounted to the baggage floor. As they get taller there is no where for there legs to go and there is not a lot of head room to start with.

My opinion is that it would not be worth the effort for the short amount of time (if any depending on how big the are now) that you would be able to utilize it.

Thanks

Thanks for the inputs. She is currently 2.5 and wearing 4T's... she's tall. That being said it would have to be a sideways jumpseat or nothing, and then safety coming into play, doesn't sound like it's worth the effort/worry. Guess I have to go with the family model if anything... or train the bride to fly a second or maybe a 4...

> 2 seats

Thanks for the inputs. She is currently 2.5 and wearing 4T's... she's tall. That being said it would have to be a sideways jumpseat or nothing, and then safety coming into play, doesn't sound like it's worth the effort/worry. Guess I have to go with the family model if anything... or train the bride to fly a second or maybe a 4...

We owned a Cherokee 180 for 12 years. I went back through the log books and determined that 7% of the flights used more than two seats - and most of the flights were when my son still lived at home. My son is grown, has moved away and married. Daughter graduates from high school in spring 2010 (doesn't like to fly anyway). Based on the above analysis, I purchased a flying 6A and told my wife that we could rent a Cherokee on the rare occasion we ever need more than 2 seats.

Most of the time I fly by myself. The outstanding economy and speed and lower maintenance costs of the -6A saves enough $$ over the Cherokee 180 that occasionally renting a Cherokee on top of the 6A would still save money. To fly the same number of trips in the Cherokee as a 6A one would have to fly 33 - 45% more hours. In the Cherokee, I would burn 50% more fuel to fly the same distance.