USCANAM

Well Known Member
Has anyone installed a temporary jump seat in the baggage compartment of a -6.-7.-9 for the grandkid? Will be about 45-50 pounds when plane is ready to fly.
We're planning on doing it.
Thanks
Jack

I put a seat in a couple of years ago for my daughter (now 4 yrs old). My -7 has a sliding canopy with the tip up modification, which was great for getting her in and out. She loves flying back there. I installed some headset jacks into the floor panel, and wired her DVD player through it for long trips...4 year old heaven. I installed the seat forward facing in the back, between the shoulder harness straps. I fashioned some hard points about the width of a car seat by doubling the aft bulkhead, and then threading 1/4 inch eye bolts through. I put a pice of 1/2 inch plywood under the car seat to disperse the load over a larger area and avoid denting the floor panels. I don't have any pictures available now, but could get some if you're interested.

Dave

Thanks Dave for the description.
We have the -9 with the tip up, which means Freddie is going to have to squeeze under the roll hoop. He's going to be a big kid, so I was almost thinking of a side facing seat to give more leg room, but am worried about impact forces.
The plywood floor is a good idea. We're at the stage now where mounts have to be installed.
He's going to be at the hanger tomorrow, so we'll try a fitting.
Thanks again
Jack

You guys might want to check with your insurance company about this. I doubt if they will take too kindly to the idea since your certification information lists "2" seats.

Mel said:
You guys might want to check with your insurance company about this. I doubt if they will take too kindly to the idea since your certification information lists "2" seats.

Since he isn't finished yet I would imagine he could claim it as a three person or 2.5 for certification and Find a DAR somewhere that would approve it.

Rear facing

If the young man is a little long-legged, it wouldn't be too difficult to make a couple of "boxes" that extend back into the tailcone on either side of the pushrod tube so he can face the rear. He'd be leaning against the back of your seat and impact forces would be well contained.

Good luck,
Pierre

TSwezey said:
Since he isn't finished yet I would imagine he could claim it as a three person or 2.5 for certification and Find a DAR somewhere that would approve it.
Yes, this is quite possible. But remember, DARs are liable for what they sign off. Don't expect him/her to sign off on it if you cannot show engineering data to show that the installation meets the same standards as the other seats. This would be MY requirements.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
Dave, besides the plywood floor, the car seat was a great idea too. He has the largest seat available, and it fits better sideways. I've already located the attach points in the floor for the eyebolts.
Mel's points are well taken too.
I don't want to take off on a rant, or start a major debate, but many, many years ago when my only plane was an Ercoupe, and I had put in the large baggage compartment, I wonder what the world would have said when they saw my 3 young daughters in the plane, the largest in the co-pilot seat, and the smaller two in the baggage. I know that grandma was very happy to see them on the trips to her area.
Jack
(withholding my N number)