Iluke

Well Known Member
This weekend I came across one of those times where it seemed obvious that I should depart from the plans. Building the flaps (RV-7), and drawing 14A Section C-C clearly calls for pop rivets (LP 4-3s) for joining the ribs and the spar. That makes sense for the inboard end rib and all the interior ribs, there's no way to buck rivets there, but not for the outboard end rib, FL 704. That joint is wide open top and bottom. I couldn't see any rationale for not using driven rivets, so that's what I did. See pictures below.

Did I miss something, or is this just one of those things?
DWG14A_zps59d18b89.jpg

Flapendrib_zpse8f8a8b9.jpg

I'd be careful, the CFD model indicates that the load across the -703 spar and ribs must be evenly distributed and have the same fastener load or catastrophic failure could occur.

But that's what I did on my flaps. :D

Cheers

I'd be careful, the CFD model indicates that the load across the -703 spar and ribs must be evenly distributed and have the same fastener load or catastrophic failure could occur.

But that's what I did on my flaps. :D

Cheers

I'm not familiar with the CFD model. Could you explain?

Sorry Ivan, I stepped out to do errands and then went to the movies. But Kurt is correct, just some humor. Nice job on the rivet selection.