My partner and I are looking to purchase either a JPI EDM-740 ~$2,750 or the Dynon EMS D-10 ~$2,500 with comparable probe packages for an O-320 We have weighed the pros and cons as follows:

JPI-EDM-740 - Pros: Clearly built from the TSO 830 but price lowered and non-TSOed to compete with Dynon. This display has a much larger display area than the Dynon and can be oriented in portrait or landscape. JPI has been in the engine monitoring business since the 1970's. A face mounted USB interface to easily download many hours of engine data. Nice display of tapes for both Cyl Temp and EGTs. Cons: With two buttons, the user interface is less friendly than Dynon. Higher Price

Dynon EMS D-10 - Pros: It's $250 less expensive, the 5 button user interface is more friendly. Several pages of information available. S/W updates seem to get pushed for free. Warning Audio output for intercom. Cons: Dynon is a fairly new company but seems to have a good reputation. 30% smaller display with less information displayed.

So we are looking for some feedback and experience from pilots who have either unit or have familiarity. In particular any issue with system reliability, performance or software issues. Sunlight readability, clarity of the gauges as well as stability of indications. Also any issues with installation.

Thanks in advance.

Well....trust me when I say just go with the Dynon - you'll be happy you did. The Dynon guys (like others in experimental avionics) treat most people in a fantastic way. Many times I choose to do business with companies as much for the people as I do the products. Do a quick google or search on this site and you'll find some interesting reading. Hint - use the word Matronics in your searches.....

Just my 2 cents as usual!

Cheers,
Stein

BTW, Dynon is far from a new company - now in their 2nd decade of business.

There is also the MVP-50 from Electronics International, I don't believe the Dynon has a "normalize" mode which I think is a key feature.

There is also the MVP-50 from Electronics International, I don't believe the Dynon has a "normalize" mode which I think is a key feature.

What does that do? Dynon's EMS has a lean assist mode if that's what you're referring to.

What does that do? Dynon's EMS has a lean assist mode if that's what you're referring to.

Normalize mode makes all the bars the same height, once you are set up at cruise and makes the resolution much higher, so that if something changes away from normal, it will be obvious very quickly.

WHAT STEIN SAID!

Dynon, and the other "non-certified" vendors are very anxious to have satisfied customers.