CDBridgesRV7A

Well gang, after lurking here for the last 2 years I'm getting ready to elevate myself to the next level...................builder!!!

Upon returning from the desert, last weekend, I ordered my RV7A empennage kit from Vans. After getting off the phone today with FedEx, they politely informed me what my customs dues/taxes were going to be(for entry into Canada). They then told me that my kit should arrive tomorrow :)

I've been waiting for this day for quiet some time. In fact, when the going got tough in the desert, I would think of building my own airplane as solace.

My wife is still a doubter about flying in a plane that will be built in our garage, but hopefully she'll get over it. If not, more upside down time for me :)

I will imagine that I will have lots more questions in the coming years as the build progresses and hurdles are encountered.

Cheers

Chris

Hey

Chris, good job getting it started and thanks for your service. Its a long journey but absolutely great. Took me 4 years to finish, just got my c of a TODAY, but with family and work...just bite off manageable chunks and make some progress. I found some of the really good builders sites were great for helping me stay focused and learning from others. If anyone can help with anything just ask.

Good luck with your new project!

Great news....

I see Van's hit my CC for the rest of my order today...kits appear to be immanent for me too!! :)

Good Luck Eh!

"My wife is still a doubter about flying in a plane that will be built in our garage, but hopefully she'll get over it."

I would offer her the chance to suggest another room other than the garage. :)

Welcome Chris. Enjoy the journey. I'll join Rick in thanking you for your service. One of the best things about this forum is the broad geographical representation, and it's great to see another Canadian on-board.

Congratulations Chris...

...and a big thankyou for your service!

Take your wife to some fly-ins and show her how many RV's trump the certified stuff with our "glass" panels and autopilots, highway-in-the-sky EFIS's and leather interiors.

My wife was so amazed at the homebuilt arena when we started flying our -6A (we were engaged then), it didn't take long for her to become spoiled with the speed and our ability to make 300 mile day trips comfortably!

Before long, she suggested a -10!!

Best,

A big Thank You from me too, for your service! And welcome home. :)

I share your excitement as I just got my empennage and getting my workshop in order.

Cheers,

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your service to the world. Congratulations on the first step of many in building your own airplane. Take your time and have fun!!

Thanks.....

for all the replys and the words of encouragement/support! Most humbling.

Alas, there was a hiccup at Customs today and only one of the two packages cleared in time to make the last delivery van. As such FedEx decided to hold the one box until the other cleared customs, so that they can deliver them both at the same time.

Tomorrow!!

Cheers

Chris

Congrats!! and good luck. Soon I'll be in the same position.. I am hoping to order my emp kit during the summer.

Welcome to the club ! I have started my RV-7 just before Christmass and I received my wing last week. I suggest you to look the diffirent builder website on the net before to start on a part. It's always good to learn from other and don't do the same error.... Building are very fun and you will see that it's amazing what you will learn in a short time.

On my side, after so many years building and designing R/C plane, it's very fun and exciting to change from balsa dust to aluminium chip !! :D

But, I can't really put my old passion on my back, and I will soon begun to design a very scale RV-7 R/C model.. I have all the plan in hand to make a very accurate model!... ;)

Good luck

SLOW AND STEADY

Pace yourself. Try to move the project ahead everyday by thinking about the next step. The hardest part is maintaining the enthusiasm over the 2-3 years. A trip to Oshkosh can recharge your battery like nothing else. Buy the right tools. Some tools only have one purpose in life but they do that one task very well.
And when your finger tips are cracked and bleeding, tape them up and go to bed! Tomorrow is another day.

I missed this thread til now (as we are practically neighbors), congratulations and glad you made it back safely. As others, thank you for your contribution.
I'll try and let you know next time we are at Waterville with our RV-10 , (probably apple blossom) so you can show your wife what to expect.
Ron