AntiGravity

Well Known Member
I was reading an article Jon Johanson seats here ---> http://www.tabshred.com/moe/jonsseat.htm

After writing an email for more information to the address given on the page, it got bounced back user unknown. Anyone have more info? Are they still available? Can Jon be contacted still or is he stuck between continents somewhere? :D

Cheers,

AntiGravity said:
I was reading an article Jon Johanson seats here ---> http://www.tabshred.com/moe/jonsseat.htm

After writing an email for more information to the address given on the page, it got bounced back user unknown. Anyone have more info? Are they still available? Can Jon be contacted still or is he stuck between continents somewhere? :D

Cheers,

I tried sitting in one of johanson's composite seats for 30 mins and found it to be very uncomfortable. Others have made similar comments. Perhaps you could check the Archives.

modifications needed

I looked into very seriously Jon's seats as well. Thought it was a great idea. After recovering from sticker shock, I even contemplated making my own. Pegasus also sells a custom molded seat kit which is over half the cost ( it is a fiberglass bag with beads and resin that you pop the resin massage the bag to mix the resin and beads, then sit in it, properly supported of course).

Then the engineering problems arose. First, if anyone else, or you with a parachute wants to sit in it, you will have to make it easily removable and have a generic to replace it with. Of course with the Velo, this does not apply.

Second consideration is safety. Van's designed the floor and seat to crush on impact reducing force load to the occupant. If you go with the Velo, or similar, you have to design/install some sort of energy absorbtion otherwise all loads will be transmitted directly to you.

Not saying it is a bad idea. Just thought it was way to much trouble for me to be worth it. Since Oregon Aero has done all the safety eng into thier seat already, I thought it was MY best choice.

Hmmm

Thanks for all your input guys. I'll follow the links provided and take a closer look. As a keen and regular skydiver I'm not sure how I'd feel without some sort of parachute. Especially since I intend to do [basic] aerobatics (eventually, once I have experience).

Jon Johanson seats for RV8 and RV4

Jeff, It's too bad you live so far away. I've got a set of seats that I'd like to sell. I found them to be comfortable, but just a bit too snug with the harness installed, so I had to drop back to the standard Van's seats.

http://www.rv8.ch/article.php?story=20040227215807309

I'm actually not very fat, about 170cm/85kg (5'10"/190lbs), so if you are much wider, you'll find them pretty tight.

Thanks, but...

Hi Mickey, I followed your link and now I remember seeing that page on your site before. Like you, I am not too thrilled at the bright yellow colour. I would likely fit them ok though, since I am 165cm/72kg and my wife is way smaller than that; actually I have no idea how she's going to see over the fuselage in any seat :D I will give it some thought if I decide to go with those seats, though I suspect freight costs would be higher than if I just pop them over the pond from Aus! Thanks.