ScottSchmidt

Well Known Member
Here is a video we shot last year around August I think, actually Sean Strasburg shot the in-plane video. With Spring around the corner (only 17 days to go) I thought I would share to get us all excited about the summer of flying coming up and the airplane camping we need to plan.

It is a pilots video....no music.....no talking.....all airplanes, all video, shot in 1080P.
Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Cqf6r23W44

Wonderful, Scott!

That really took me back to my first trip there. What an amazing place. Those trees looked like skyscrapers on downwind to this flatlander.

Thanks for shooting/posting that.

Everybody needs to make a trip to Johnson Creek. I'll be back this year.

Thanks again for the booster shot, Scott

Is it one-way-in-one-way-out?

Scott, sems to me from the topography that you could take off in either direction, no?

Thanks,

Scott, sems to me from the topography that you could take off in either direction, no?
Thanks,

Landing to the south and taking off to the north at Johnson Creek is the preferred method, Pierre. The terrain rises fast south of the field.

Last edited:
Landing to the south and taking off to the north at Johnson Creek is the preferred method, Pierre. The terrain rises fast south of the field.

No kidding....there's nothing like that which compares to airfields in Australia... had me white-knuckling the armchair just watching it

Thanks,

The people who donated the land also requested the no one fly over the house at the South end, so even of you and your plane are capable they would prefer you don't.

Come on up Pierre, while some mountain instruction is definitely recommended, Johnson Creek is one of the easy strips and a great place for all to enjoy.

Background information for landing and departing Johnson Creek

Thanks,

Anyone planning a Johnson creek trip, please take the time to read this letter from our very supportive Idaho Aeronautics folks. Explains the situation.

Begin quote

July 13, 2010

To All Fellow Aviators,

It is our responsibility as pilots to ensure an orderly and safe flow of traffic in and around Idaho?s backcountry airports. The FAA Airport/Facility Directory, the Idaho Division of Aeronautics Airport/Facility Directory, and Galen Hanselman?s Fly Idaho are three sources that provide the most current approach and departure recommendations to the most popular airports. Information passed by word of mouth or over the Internet, although well-intended, can skew these recommendations and inadvertently mislead others into attempting maneuvers beyond their abilities or better judgment.

Recent events indicate that misinformation about the traffic pattern at Johnson Creek is being circulated, creating a potentially unsafe situation. The following is meant to correct any misunderstandings as to what patterns are flown, when, and why.

It was Emma Bryant?s graciousness and generosity that provided the land on which Johnson Creek now sits. The Bryant family, whose ranch house sits on the hill at the south end of the airport, fully supports all flying activities at Johnson Creek. However, they have three requests of those flying into Johnson Creek: First, under normal conditions, make all landings to the south and all takeoffs to the north.

Second, landings to the north are permitted whenever the pilot decides, based on weather and not convenience, that a landing to the south is unsafe or unwarranted. However, offset your base leg to the south and final approach to the east to avoid overflying the house.

Lastly, takeoffs to the south are strongly discouraged: your takeoff path is directly toward the ranch house; you are taking off toward rising terrain; and a marginally performing aircraft, struggling to stay airborne, flying passed their living room window is very disconcerting. In the recent past, high density altitudes led to three accidents and seven fatalities, each aircraft failing to out climb the rising terrain to the south. Unfavorable southerly winds generally occur in the late afternoon when aircraft should remain on the ground until more favorable conditions prevail.

As a courtesy to the Bryant family, we should honor their requests.

One last item: noise is our greatest enemy in the backcountry. Most of the airplanes we fly are noisy and sound travels great distances in the canyons. That sound amplifies tremendously when we fly in formation, make low passes, and multiple takeoffs and landings. Johnson Creek and the nearby village of Yellow Pine represent a cross-section of the local population and those that come to enjoy our pristine mountain beauty. Not all of them are pilots, yet all of us share the same purpose and must find a way to enjoy our pursuits without treading on those of our neighbors.

Please enjoy our airports, but also be considerate.

Sincerely,

Frank W. Lester, Jr.
Safety/Education Coordinator
Idaho Division of Aeronautics

end quote

Johnson Creek Updrafts and Downdrafts?

What a video! My heart was pounding just watching it. Thanks for sharing this. I hope to be able to fly my RV-7 there someday, but if it's not to be, videos like this capture some of the adventure.

I have one question about updrafts and downdrafts near mountains. Is that not a concern at Johnson Creek? A friend in Utah told me once that there is a rule of thumb which I can't remember now. Something about for every 50 knots of winds at the mountain peaks, stay so many thousand feet above. Obviously I can't remember it and if/when the time comes when I can fly to Idaho, I'll surely enroll in a mountain flying course before flying in the mountains.

But the question remains in my mind. Are there concerns about updrafts and downdrafts near Johnson Creek? The letter quoted by "nomocom" didn't say anything about that.

The departing 170 is a friend I haven't heard from in a while. Good to know he's still out and about.:cool: His 170 has a 180HP Lyc mod. If you want white knuckle, try it in a stock 170 with 1600hrs on the C-145.:eek: It got off the ground OK, but I had to circle Yellow Pine a couple of times before heading to McCall.

...I have one question about updrafts and downdrafts near mountains. Is that not a concern at Johnson Creek? A friend in Utah told me once that there is a rule of thumb which I can't remember now. Something about for every 50 knots of winds at the mountain peaks, stay so many thousand feet above. Obviously I can't remember it and if/when the time comes when I can fly to Idaho, I'll surely enroll in a mountain flying course before flying in the mountains....

The number I've heard is more like 25 knots, and in a kite like a 170, I'd be leery of even that. Johnson Creek is an airport you'll want to head into/out of early in the morning or late afternoon when the winds are usually settled down. I went in late afternoon (Friday before Labor Day 2005), and planned the previous fuel stop so that I didn't have much more than half tanks on departure. I left early morning two days later while it was still calm and cool (high 30's/low 40's).

I was originally based in Tullahoma, TN, and thought mountain flying meant flying into Sewanee. Johnson Creek is relatively easy as back country flying goes, but it's still a blast!

Last edited:
Updrafts/downdrafts... yes

Are there concerns about updrafts and downdrafts near Johnson Creek? The letter quoted by "nomocom" didn't say anything about that.

Frank's letter isn't trying to make all pilots ready to go to Johnson Creek (as you clearly know) but it can provide the mountain qualified pilot background information that will help make the experience more pleasant for everybody.

I can tell by your questions that you have an interest and Johnson creek is probably on your bucket list:) I'd recommend reading the excellent "Mountain Flying Bible" written by Sparky Imeson. It will answer a lot of questions for you and make later mountain instruction all the more efficient as you will have already seen the material. You'll walk into the class with intermediate to advanced questions and when the instructor asks you to do certain things, you'll know why already.

http://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Flying-Revised-Sparky-Imeson/dp/1880568179

He's had a few editions and the earlier ones occasionally turn up at used book stores.

And by the way, circling Yellowpine... Why? Hanging on to the concept of flying point to point :D ? Rather, go downriver, when you get to the Southfork of the Salmon, head upriver (south) toward McCall. The Lick Creek pass to the West is fairly low and the mountains in the drainage are very scenic with nice exposures of the Idaho batholith.

And by the way, circling Yellowpine... Why? Hanging on to the concept of flying point to point :D ? Rather, go downriver, when you get to the Southfork of the Salmon, head upriver (south) toward McCall. The Lick Creek pass to the West is fairly low and the mountains in the drainage are very scenic with nice exposures of the Idaho batholith.

I can play that game in the southern Sierras, but I am familiar with the terrain. Without intimate knowlege of the topography between Yellow Pine and McCall, I was just being on the safe side, plus a passenger that had already been down in the canyon long enough.;)

TOO LOUD!!!!

it's odd the camera didn't pick up any of the radio calls being made or cockpit conversation

It is way too loud for the camera to pick up our talking or radio calls. I want to get the plugs that allow me to plug an audio input into the camera so you can hear the conversation.

As recommended, you should read a Imerson's book on Mountain Flying and if possible take a class from a knowledgeable instructor.

Some of the basics:

1. Fly in the morning or evening when winds are light and density altitude is less of a factor.

2. Fly on the upwind side of ridges so that you get rising air working in your favor. Avoid the downwind side of ridges as this is where air sinks and is the most turbulent.

3. When crossing a ridgeline, approach at least 1000 feet higher than the crest (higher is better), and approach at a 45 degree angle so you can turn away if you start sinking.

What a video! My heart was pounding just watching it. Thanks for sharing this. I hope to be able to fly my RV-7 there someday, but if it's not to be, videos like this capture some of the adventure.

I have one question about updrafts and downdrafts near mountains. Is that not a concern at Johnson Creek? A friend in Utah told me once that there is a rule of thumb which I can't remember now. Something about for every 50 knots of winds at the mountain peaks, stay so many thousand feet above. Obviously I can't remember it and if/when the time comes when I can fly to Idaho, I'll surely enroll in a mountain flying course before flying in the mountains.

But the question remains in my mind. Are there concerns about updrafts and downdrafts near Johnson Creek? The letter quoted by "nomocom" didn't say anything about that.

It is way too loud for the camera to pick up our talking or radio calls. I want to get the plugs that allow me to plug an audio input into the camera so you can hear the conversation.

My dad and I fly with a HD hero camera. The only audio it has ever picked up from us is one of my dads famously loud sneezes that are more like a yell. It was pretty funny watching the video and suddenly hearing that. :p