When forming new inspection panels, is it better to joggle the panel, or place a doubler in the sheet metal and allow the panel to attach to the doubler. I'm at odds because I think a good joggle will look better, but adding a doubler will add strenth around the panel. Just wondering what everyone else's thoughts are on the subject. Thanks everyone!

New inspection panels?

I'm guessing you mean in addition to the inspection panels already on the plane. I would say making a doubler ring around the new opening with platenuts spaced around it would make the easiest solution, unless you're an experienced metal-worker with the equipment to make a precision joggle.

(I think I understand the question)

Joggle if you can ...

I added inspection panels in front of the canopy to get at the radios on my 7A, and love the easy access. I did the doubler route because I don't have the tools to make a joggle. Strength is not an issue, and doublers add more stiffness than strength, and neither is significant from a structural standpoint. If you have the capability to do a joggle, I'd go that route every time. Just be sure your corner radii are no smaller than those on the wing inspection panels.

I've done and do both; mostly depends on the specific application. I joggle whenever possible because it looks neat and saves weight. On the wing skins I used a doubler for the added / regained strength. Just as you presented in your question.

I added inspection panels in front of the canopy to get at the radios on my 7A, and love the easy access. I did the doubler route because I don't have the tools to make a joggle. Strength is not an issue, and doublers add more stiffness than strength, and neither is significant from a structural standpoint. If you have the capability to do a joggle, I'd go that route every time. Just be sure your corner radii are no smaller than those on the wing inspection panels.[/QUOTE

Why do your corner radii have to match those in the wing panels???