StuBob

Well Known Member
I built an RV6 tail 20 years ago, backing out for a thousand reasons. None of those reasons is currently in play, so I'm looking at starting a new kit.

In my 6 experience, I had a lot of trouble with jigs, which was then multiplied on the actual tail surfaces. When the 8 came out, it had pre-punched skins but still required jigging and match drilling. The present 7, as I understand it, is match-drilled and requires no jigs at all.

What about the current 8 kits? Do they still require match drilling and jigging? My flying preference would be an 8, but I'd like to do everything possible to minimize the potential for error.

Thanks in advance. Great site.

I get the impression that many on this forum are not even familiar with the days before the fully pre-punched kits. I have an 8 kit I bought in '97. And, I'm having trouble getting started. I goofed up several parts in the tail kit and replaced them with the newer parts, like the horizontal stab fwd spar and inboard main ribs. The forward spar on the horizontal stab is partially pre punched and the inboard flanges are already trimmed back, the HS-810 and 814 HS forward spar stiffeners are precut and predrilled. All together, these changes seem to make the horizontal stab self-jigging.

Try ordering the preview plans and reading through them. I think it might answer your questions.

Now, if I can ever get done with my tail kit and get onto the wings, I'll be happy!

What about the current 8 kits? Do they still require match drilling and jigging? My flying preference would be an 8, but I'd like to do everything possible to minimize the potential for error.

Thanks in advance. Great site.

No jigs required to build the 8, it is match drilled. But some sort of holding contraption is required to facilitate the build. I did both wings at the same time using a vertical thingy for each to hold the main spars. There is a picture of it somewhere in my build record on this site.

The empennage can be build on a flat table.

Last edited:
That's what I needed to hear. Vertical hanger thingies I can do, but I have PTSD from trying to make everything straight and true using wood and gravity!

The vertical hanging thingy for 7/8/9 wings needs to be set up accurately and rigidly to prevent building in a twist in a wing. So.. it is a jig from that standpoint. Its not hard to set up.

Tail surfaces from the current pre-punch production don't require a jig. Doesn't mean you couldn't use one but if you take your time and do it carefully you should be fine.

What about QB?

I should've mentioned that I'm probably going to do a QB. Does that make a difference as far as stands/tables/hangie things?

I should've mentioned that I'm probably going to do a QB. Does that make a difference as far as stands/tables/hangie things?

The most challenging thing about completing a QB is figuring out where it is in the build sequence and that can be done reading the plan.

The worst part of the build IMHO is not QB'ed, the canopy. I would rather build the entire fuselage than another canopy. :(