Jamie

Well Known Member
A friend of mine who claims to have some connections got some close-up photos of the recent Jetblue incident. I found it interesting that the tires were still attached. What are the chances of Van's hiring someone that had a part in the design of the nose gear on that sucker? ;-)

file000_small.jpeg
file001_small.jpeg

file003_small.jpeg
file004_small.jpeg

The forums limit the number of pictures allowed in a post, so you can go here for more pictures (and higher resolution).

Wrong airplane??

Something's not jiving between the recent story and these photos. The recent JetBlue incident involved N536JB "Canyon Blue" not N503JB "Bluebird." Each of JetBlue's airplane has "blue" in its name, you know. N503JB was JetBlue's first A320 delivered by the way. I know this nosegear problem has happened before but has it happened to JetBlue twice??

Still, they are cool photos though.

Mikey:

I really can't verify the authenticity of these photos...so what you say may very well be true. It's interesting either way -- the photos are of the recent incident or *another* incident with a similar problem.

I just found an article on Findlaw (and other places) about 7 other incidents involving Airbus nose gears, including one incident in November 2002 where the pilot had to make a landing at JFK just like the one we saw in California. The article is here.

The picture taken from a distance shows the aircraft sitting well off the centerline. If I remember correctly, the captain put the aircraft exactly on the centerline. Also, the person standing there is wearing what appears to be a heavy winter coat, which tells me this could be the JFK incident.

BTW: Here are the two other pictures I couldn't get in my original post:

file005_small.jpeg

file002_small.jpeg

Last edited:
arffguy said:
Something's not jiving between the recent story and these photos. The recent JetBlue incident involved N536JB "Canyon Blue" not N503JB "Bluebird." Each of JetBlue's airplane has "blue" in its name, you know. N503JB was JetBlue's first A320 delivered by the way. I know this nosegear problem has happened before but has it happened to JetBlue twice??

I guess it's possible for two times for Jet Blue but it's certainly bad luck, if true.

Also, I'm not sure the weather in LA requires winter coats yet and I don't remember the yellow stripe down the center of the runway either (key words: don't remember)

-mike

arffguy said:

ANd another thing that struck me ... I thought the tires burned quite a bit on the LA landing.

Thanks for the photos in any case.

James

you're right, they are from the JFK incident. Another way to tell the pics aren't from LAX - check out the guy in the winter coat!

Actually three give aways that it's not last weeks LAX incident:

1) winter coat (already mentioned by Mike and Scott)
2) the LAX bird came to a stop at the end of and in the middle of a runway center line stripe. This JFK bird is two feet or so left of center white stripe.
3) the most obvious thing to me is the water (NY bay or something) in the background.

No N503JB in FAA accident files!

arffguy said:

Just searched the FAA accident/incident files and found no refference to N503JB as far back as 1980. Wonder what these pictures are reall of????

Duane Wilson

I know this nosegear problem has happened before but has it happened to JetBlue twice??

I think I heard on the news that it was the second or third incident like this for JetBlue. 6 or 7 total for the A320.
Kinda scary, but I'd rather have my nosewheel locked at 90* than to have it stuck at 45*.

Jeff

Just found this forum, so my post is a bit late, but no one has mentioned the JetBlue tug in the background. If JetBlue has no presence in LAX, how could they have a "branded" tug at the airport?