wirejock

Well Known Member
Sorry for a asking so many paint questions.
Has anyone sprayed Jet Flex solvent based interior on bare prepped aluminum? I ordered mine and plan to shoot test samples both on scuffed bare aluminum and scuffed P60G2.
I planned to scuff with scotch brite and clean as usual so it should be a good mechanical bond.

After several calls to Sherwin Williams corporate and stores, the consensus is to spray a primer but, they won't agree on which primer. One said the P60G2 would be fine if scuffed. Some recommend Jet Flex primer. Others say I have to use SW epoxy primer over P60G2 and bare aluminum. :eek:

Some parts already have P60G2. That's three coatings on those parts. They say P60G2 is not meant as a primer for non ferrous metals or top coats and yet their web page says the contrary and it is compatible with several top coats. Of course it doesn't say which.

Frankly it's annoying to get such mixed information. So I'm hoping for experienced opinion here. I know it's an expensive airplane but every gram counts. I'm not opposed to spraying primer first but I want knowledgeable opinion on what and why. I read others spraying Jet Flex on QB fuse parts so I know it's been done.

So, with respect to Jet Flex Solvent Based...
If you sprayed Jet Flex SB over QB parts, how did you prep? Primer? No primer? What primer? How's it holding up?
If you sprayed Jet Flex SB on bare prepped aluminum? How did it hold up?
If you sprayed Jet Flex SB over a primer on bare aluminum first, what primer? How did it hold up?

Larry,

No need to apologize for any question. There are those like me who learn from questions we haven't even thought to ask yet. ;)

Works fine over bare aluminum , but . . . .

. . . . It's important to thoroughly scuff (purple scotchbrite) and then clean with something like acetone or MEK. My bare metal prep consisted of wet scuffing the surface with scotchbrite, Dawn soap and water clean to remove most scuffing "smut", then repeated wipe with white paper shop towels soaked with acetone until the white towels quit coming up with grey residue (takes many passes to achieve this). Wear rubber gloves during this to not only protect your skin from the acetone, but to keep your skin off the clean aluminum!

I shot solvent JetFlex over AKZO green epoxy primer, PPG DP40LF epoxy primer, PPG K36 high build urethane primer, and bare aluminum. In my experience, it adheres well and works fine over all of these surfaces if the surfaces have been scuffed (or sanded in some cases) and thoroughly cleaned beforehand. If you dig through the SW documentation, the only specific mention of a primer is when JetFlex is to be applied over plastic.

FWIW.

Last edited:
Prep

Thanks Dan that's exactly what I was looking for. I knew I needed to scuff but didn't know I needed to clean after the washing with acetone. Good advise.

I used JetFlex solvent base on my QB interior.

Cleaned scuffed and primed over the factory primer with SW epoxy primer CM0483660. Waited 20 min and sprayed the JetFlex top coat (Reduced the JetFlex to the max. recommend to get the results I wanted).

I've tried many different primers and really like the CM0483660, flows and covers well without using too much product. Its also the primer I'm using for the exterior along with SW epoxy sanding primer CM0560563 for the fiberglass.

Must have climbed in and out the interior a thousand times working on the wiring and panel. Dragging air hose and dropping tools, the JetFlex has been extremely durable and still looks great.

Never tried spraying it on bare aluminum. If you try a test piece let us know the results.