MSFT-1

Well Known Member
OK, admittedly this is a post that has a little more to do with my day job (I work for Microsoft).

I have a Garmin GNS-430W in my airplane. I use Jeppesen Services Update Manager (JSUM) to download updates to my IFR data each month. For several months (OK, a year and a half) Jeppesen's website says they do not yet support Windows Vista but would real soon.

Each month when it is time to do the update I would hall out an old laptop that still had Windows XP on it to do the update. In frustration last night I sent a snarky note to Jeppesen tech support pointing out that Vista shipped almost two years ago. To their credit they replied within a couple hours and said that JSUM works fine with Vista - it was their flight planning software that has issues.

I just did this month's update using JSUM on my Vista machine and it worked perfectly.

Bottomline: If you have been waiting to upgrade to Vista because of Jeppesen (for updates) you can ditch XP now.

And a note from my employer: "We didn't make Bruce say any of this. We're Microsoft and we approve of this message" ;)

Vista and Jeppesen

Flight planning software also works with Vista. Just use Run as Adminstrator when you initially load the software.
Cheers:)

Pity so many other older applications will not run on it, and many industrial automation suites as well.

These hardware platforms are good for 20 years plus, so changing OS's are a real pain in the butt!:eek:

Maybe you can change the thinking at MS........ :cool:

Yup - I payed extra to NOT have Vista (I like my XP) on my latest Thinkpad....
I should have done that but I figured Vista is the future and I needed to learn it. What a POS! I have to reboot this new notebook a few times every day. I guess it is no different than NT or XP when they first came out. Still, you would think MS could put out a halfway decent product once in a while.

What a disappointment! :mad:

Jepp knows

I changed to a Vista machine this past winter against my will when my old machine died. When I asked Jeppesen about the issues I was told that it would work despite the warning and it has. I don't know why they have not eliminated the warning.

As far as Microsoft goes, my move to Vista was (is) a nightmare! Literaly hundreds of hours upgrading software and trying to get other (Microsoft) prducts to work! I have bought my last Windows computer!

Scott A. Jordan

OK, admittedly this is a post that has a little more to do with my day job (I work for Microsoft).

I have a Garmin GNS-430W in my airplane. I use Jeppesen Services Update Manager (JSUM) to download updates to my IFR data each month. For several months (OK, a year and a half) Jeppesen's website says they do not yet support Windows Vista but would real soon.

Each month when it is time to do the update I would hall out an old laptop that still had Windows XP on it to do the update. In frustration last night I sent a snarky note to Jeppesen tech support pointing out that Vista shipped almost two years ago. To their credit they replied within a couple hours and said that JSUM works fine with Vista - it was their flight planning software that has issues.

I just did this month's update using JSUM on my Vista machine and it worked perfectly.

Bottomline: If you have been waiting to upgrade to Vista because of Jeppesen (for updates) you can ditch XP now.

And a note from my employer: "We didn't make Bruce say any of this. We're Microsoft and we approve of this message" ;)

As a NON-Microsoft technology worker, I cannot in good conscience advise any of my clients to infect their computers with Vista.

My upgrade path from XP, if forced to do so, will be Linux...