mattsmith

Well Known Member
I am getting ready to install my air vents and static air source and want to know if JB weld is as good as Pro seal? I would rather use JB weld because I can get down the street but don't know if it will stick as well as pro seal. How about another kind of epoxy if JB weld is not as good ( something I can get down the street?)

How about Goop?

JB Weld will work OK, but it is not as flexible as ProSeal. I'd worry about it separating from the plastic with temp changes.
I've used GOOP for a number of things (available at any hardware store) and think it would work better than JBWeld. It is seriously tough stuff.

JB Weld

is good stuff. I recommend it for almost anything. I understand that it is now used to hold the heat shields on the space shuttle. In a pinch, my kids sometimes brush their teeth with it. You can thin it down with acetone, MEK, or Bacardi 151.

Proseal is the only way to go. Buy it in the little 1 oz cups from Vans. I just used it to do some filtered air box repair. Best thing to bond composite to aluminum, seal up joints, and give flexibility to joints that have thermal or vibration.

Goop

Went to the home store and got J.B. weld and a tube of goop. at first I was a Little skeptical about the goop so I tried it on two pieces of scrap I had laying around, 24 hours latter a vise and pair of Chanel locks I once again had two pieces of scrap. I don't know how it compares to pro seal but goop is really really strong stuff. Thanks for the tip Ill be using goop.

pro seal

I bought some pro seal off the shelf at NAPA auto parts store. Its not called pro seal its called fuel tank sealer but its the same thing and is sold in small containers. I also use a 2 part epoxy that comes in a double push tube carton that squirts out equal parts of each. This a really good product for small jobs like glueing down tie wrap anchors and is a true epoxy sold at Lowes and some hardware stores. I used pro seal on my static system because it sticks to everything and hangs on tight.

I have had problems using JB weld with it not being able to grab a storng bond on a small surface. I like goop for sealing moisture out of Molex and D sub connectors. All so a good sealer is Loktite clear pure silicone, I like it better than goop for electrical work

Last edited:
Pro-Seal after 12.5 years of flying

I put my PLASTIC air vents that I purchased from Van on with Pro-Seal only and nothing else over 14-years ago. After 12.5 years and 2,341+ hours of flying, they look just like they were done yesterday.

I put my PLASTIC air vents that I purchased from Van on with Pro-Seal only and nothing else.......
Ditto.

k4t1cj.jpg

Proseal is perfectly marvelous for low stress bonding, but we should be careful not to over-rate it as an adhesive.

Tensile strength comparison:

Flamemaster CS3204: 200 psi
JB Weld: 3600 psi
West resin w/106: 7320 psi

So, although it works fine for vents (mine included), don't get the idea you can use it for structural items without seriously considering applied load (and adhesive properties beyond just tensile strength).

Proseal is perfectly marvelous for low stress bonding, but we should be careful not to over-rate it as an adhesive.

Tensile strength comparison:

Flamemaster CS3204: 200 psi
JB Weld: 3600 psi
West resin w/106: 7320 psi

So, although it works fine for vents (mine included), don't get the idea you can use it for structural items without seriously considering applied load (and adhesive properties beyond just tensile strength).

The above Tensile strength will only occur IF the surfaces are PERFECTLY prepared. None of the above will stick well to an unprepared surface.

Ask yourself, what is the tensile strength of the PLASTIC used in the NACA vent? Why use an adhesive that is 1,000 times stronger than the plastic?

Surface preparation is the key to getting the plastic NACA vent to stick to the fuselage WITHOUT rivets or screws regardless of the adhesive use.