Robert M

Well Known Member
Hi gang!

Has anyone used JB Weld instead of Proseal as an adhesive for the foam ribs in the trim tab?

I used JB Weld to bond in metal ribs for my trim tab, and it is holding just fine. I also used JB to fasten the NACA ducts on my RV6 and RV8. On the RV6 they were on for 7 years and 900 hours and looked like brand new...no problems. You need to prepare the surfaces by roughing them up with sand paper and JB will bond really well.
I know this isn't the same as using foam, but it should work fine. Try a test piece if you really have a concern....the foam will probably rip before the JB gives way.

Thanks sf3543!

I kinda figured it would work. If the foam doesn't like the JB I'll make a pair of metal ribs.

other uses

I plan on using JB weld on my rudder and elevator trailing edge extrusions also.

Mike

I used the aluminum filled version of JB weld on the trailing edges of the elevators and rudder on my -9. Plus numerous other places like the foam ribs in the trim tab. It seems to work great and as long as the surfaces are cleaned then scuffed it had a very tenacious bond.
Best of luck with your project!
Rik