Jamie Aust

Well Known Member
I would like to know if JB weld can be used to fix this.
I counter sunk a AN426 hole a little more than I would like. It has gone half way through the aileron hinge bracket W414 A-R. This is one of two AN426 at the end that holds the bearing in place. I was looking at maybe putting another new hole closer to the bearing, as I see no edge distance being a problem.
Now to fix the deep hole, can I use JB Weld to fill the hole, or should I set this rivet deep, and JB weld over the top ?
Any ideas please.
Silly me didnt test before I started to counter sink. All the rest of the C.S are good.
I dont want to repair the one on the bottom, just fill it. I want to put a new one closer to the bearing hole. What do you think.
NOTE: the one ontop is counter sunk, the one on the bottom has a 426 rivet in the hole.
railreonbrktqo1.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Jamie

I have used JB weld on my plane in a couple of place, but not sure about what you are trying to do.

I don't think that I would put it in an over sized hole and the drill and counter sink it. I would be thinking that the amount of JB left would be very thin.

If possible I would move over and put two rivets on either side. You could put JB in the over sized hole to hide, but that wouldn't be needed.

If I could see a picture it would be easier to advise you.

Kent

I agree with Ken

I have used JB weld on my plane in a couple of place, but not sure about what you are trying to do.

I don't think that I would put it in an over sized hole and the drill and counter sink it. I would be thinking that the amount of JB left would be very thin.

If possible I would move over and put two rivets on either side. You could put JB in the over sized hole to hide, but that wouldn't be needed.

If I could see a picture it would be easier to advise you.

Kent

FWIW - I would make sure the hole is clean and not likely to spider out. Plenty of meat there. Clamp and drill another hole and rivet. With 2 pieces there, the rivets are just holding the pieces together and keeping the bearing in place and should be plenty strong. Notice how much less metal is around the bearing mount. One of those little warts that only you will know. If it bothers you, fill it and paint it.

If worried, make another or order one. On the rating scale, I give this oops no more than a 2 out of 10.

No JB Weld needed...

...just go and see your local aircraft mechanic (AME in Oz?) and get a single AN426-5 rivet. Drill the hole out to 5/32, adjust the countersink and rivet.

Plenty of edge distance, no extra rivets, and no holes to fill.

Any length rivet will do, you can easily trim a single rivet down to the correct length.

You can set it with a hammer and your C-Frame dimpler if needed.

If it's really, really bad, a -6 rivet would work, but I don't think your countersink is that large....:)

gil A

piece of mind

The question is, if you come up with a fix would you be able to fix and forget it? For piece of mind why dont you get some more material from spruce and make a new piece or just order two more pieces from Vans and do it right. That way you can have complete confidence in the aileron mounting system and move on.

Im all for 'fixing' bits here and there but when it comes to major components, piece of mind of knowing its done as per the plans is priceless.

Just my opinion. Good luck.

Another method

I would get another piece of aluminum, some scrap skin or something, and dimple it for that rivet. Then cut out the dimple, basically making a countersunk washer, insert the rivet and rivet to the piece, which will fill in the void you are seeing. When you are done riveting, you can carefully grind everything flush if you have edges sticking up. (This would be like countersinking a hole to accept the dimpled skin, which is done in several places on the plane.)
I personally don't see this as a critical spot, but you could always ask VAN's if you want peace of mind.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input, I will try a bigger rivet first, then maybe a washer. I dont see that I need to replace the part just now. Also living in Australia, any parts I have to replace cost a lot in shipping / customs. If its an item that is not fixable, then yes I get new ones, just so I can sleep at night ! :)