Not sure if you are installing the landing gear or just servicing, but this is the settup I have my 6A on currently while I get the wings installed..........
848image334-med.jpg

The yellow jacks for used for twins etc to service their retracts. Fortunately a fellow pilot at my airport had a set to lend me. Perhaps you could use some from your local FBO?

Regards,

double posts

When I look at my posts, I have a little button labeled "edit" on the bottom right, which if I click, gives me a chance to remove the post. Just FYI. Cool picture(s), by the way!

Last edited:
Hi Mickey:

Yeah, I can usually navigate things better, but I am on my laptop at work (I know, I should be WORKING) and it is a bit touchy sometimes.......

Regards,

wing jacks

Wing jacks are the best way I have found. You can buy a set for about $300. I bought some inexpensive long bottle jacks form Harbor freight for about $60 for the set and welded a tri-pod stand for them, they work great for less than $100. If you want photos and more info let me know

lhawkins said:
Wing jacks are the best way I have found. You can buy a set for about $300. I bought some inexpensive long bottle jacks form Harbor freight for about $60 for the set and welded a tri-pod stand for them, they work great for less than $100. If you want photos and more info let me know

Photos would be great! A write-up of how you made them would be really useful as well!

Ron
RV-9A - Final Assy

Last edited:
Here are some shots of my plane on Jackhouse jacks and Van's Wingjacking hardpoints. I used a chain and blocks to weight the tail down.

Roberta

planejack18ix.jpg

planejack29oi.jpg

Jacking An RV

Does anyone know of someone that has used the jack that Van's sells? It's a little bit more expensive than a wing jack but it breaks down and stores in a bag for those long group trips, like LOE or Oshkosh.
I borrowed a wing jack last night to change main gear tires and pack wheel bearings. It was okay but doing one side at a time, you have to carefully chock the nose and other main gear tire to prevent any movement. As soon as I got the wheel off the axle I used my Bogert axle stand and let the plane down to take the load off the jack, much safer.

Using one wing jack can be an adventure. Using two and tying the tail works very well. The Van's jack would be nice for wheels and tires, but would not work for aligning wheel fairings, since you can't get the gear up with the weight off of it. The Van's jack is portable, but not that easy to use.

JMHO
Roberta

New way to jack....

Get in touch with Alex DeDominicis at www.rvtraining.com if you want to be the first on your block with the most elegant and simple way to jack your RV for changing tires, brakes, etc.... Inexpensive, too. ($120) I just used mine and it works great. It is called Handy Jack and you get it through him. I would love to post a picture but don't want to infringe on design rights because the thing is so simple it could be easily copied...... but for the price I don't think it is worth the effort.

Bruce Sacks
RV9 N659DB

bsacks05 said:
Get in touch with Alex DeDominicis at www.rvtraining.com if you want to be the first on your block with the most elegant and simple way to jack your RV for changing tires, brakes, etc.... Inexpensive, too. ($120) I just used mine and it works great. It is called Handy Jack and you get it through him. I would love to post a picture but don't want to infringe on design rights because the thing is so simple it could be easily copied...... but for the price I don't think it is worth the effort.

Bruce Sacks
RV9 N659DB
I understand there will be one of these jacks being demonstrated at the 'TEX' fly-in on 5/20/06 in N.Texas. I know this as I'm friends with the designer and suggested he bring it. It really is way cool.

b,d

fmi: TEXAS RV Fly-In

jacks

the 'aircraftjacks.com' site has excellent jacks for low wings at $149. Several locals (nc) are now using them after ckg, out mine. Just chock that 3rd wheel and its worked great as a single.