Stephen Lindberg

Well Known Member
Jack and Golda Cox edit and publish Sportsman Pilot, clearly a labor of love. I just today received a letter from Jack, addressed to all subscribers, informing me that he is recovering from a "severe illness resulting in an extended period of hospitalization", and apologizing for not publishing the Fall 2008 issue. Although I don't know them personally, Jack and Golda have for me always represented what I like best about our corner of the aviation world, namely, the cheerful sharing of knowledge, fellowship, and a welcoming attitude toward the stranger and newby. If you enjoyed Sport Aviation in the old days of EAA when Jack and Golda were editors, if you read Sportsman Pilot, or if you would just like to extend your best wishes for recovery from a severe illness, I am sure Jack would appreciate hearing from you. Cards and letters can be sent to P.O. Box 400, Asheboro, NC 27204.

We RVers have benefited from Jack's long involvement in our sport, and now would be a good time to tell him thanks and convey our hopes for his return to health, and to flying.

email: [email protected]

Last edited:
Well Said Stephen

I received the same letter as a subscriber to Sportsman Pilot. It is the only magazine I still read from cover to cover. I had a brief encounter with Golda Cox at Oshkosh in 1996 when I asked for a copy of the Aircraft Spruce race results. Other than that I have never met them but I hold them in my mind as uniquely wonderful people with unwavering style and integrity. A card seems inadequate and meaningless coming from me but your post causes me to think maybe they would appreciate a note of thanks and well wishes from the lone readers they have never met that have toiled on their airplanes through the years finding satisfaction and inspiration in Jack's writing and and Golda's photographs.

Bob Axsom

When Jack Cox was the editor of Sport Aviation, it actually had some "meat." Kinda fluffy now. Sportsman Pilot still has that feel.

Get well, soon Jack.

When Jack Cox was the editor of Sport Aviation, it actually had some "meat." Kinda fluffy now. Sportsman Pilot still has that feel.

Get well, soon Jack.

Indeed. SA is bad enough now that the latest issue I spent a total of maybe 20 minutes reading thru before it got thrown on the magazine pile. The articles he writes in his own magazine don't seem to be quite as technical as they were back before he retired, but they're far better than the "how to live with your airplane" or "how to change your oil" types of articles you see now in SA.

A magazine that I really liked that lived a short life was Experimental Aircraft Technology, it sort of died on the vine.

Last edited: