CaptPausert

Well Known Member
I am fitting the J stiffeners in the wing of my RV-9A and I marked the centerline 3/8" from the unbent edge as directed but when I put the stiffeners in place and try to line up the holes the aft edge of the stiffener hits the edge of the ribs with the line only about 1/3" of the way down the hole. Are the stiffener aft edges supposed to be touching the ribs?

I am fitting the J stiffeners in the wing of my RV-9A and I marked the centerline 3/8" from the unbent edge as directed but when I put the stiffeners in place and try to line up the holes the aft edge of the stiffener hits the edge of the ribs with the line only about 1/3" of the way down the hole. Are the stiffener aft edges supposed to be touching the ribs?
Just check the edge distance. You're fine cheating the stiffeners one way or the other if you can keep edge distance. I seem to remember seeing the same thing.

If I remember correctly, that line should be marked at about 5/16" from the edge, not 3/8". In any case you are just trying to make a straight rivet line without the stiffener wandering up and down in the channel as you drill the rivet holes. As long as you have the stiffener straight (and the rivet hole line straight) AND you have sufficient edge distance for the holes, you are good.