aadamson

Well Known Member
Some good follow along sites, if you aren't going to make it.

www.airrace.org - the main RARA site

http://www.warbirdaeropress.com/smf/index.php - forum that's pretty active with sections for most of the favorites

http://www.aafo.com/hangartalk/index.php? - another air racing forum

Both of the above usually post good pictures, daily results, etc. For those interested, the "Bear" is sporting a new paint job and from all indications running great, the other usual suspects are also "in the hunt"...

Real action starts on Wed/Thurs with finals on Sunday.

Most notable to date, the loss of "Blue Thunder" the Thunder Mustang from the Sport class - no one hurt thank heavens.

This will be 5 in a row

Heading to Reno Friday morning. Will be there by noon for the afternoon races. This will be the 5th year in a row.

Nothing like watching the Unlimiteds when the come flying past the finishline. :D

I can't make it to Reno but if you go and happen to see Jon Sharp's or Kevin Eldredge's NXTs, look for (and say hello) to my brother Mike, the painter of each :D Rosie

If anybody needs a cheap fuel stop near Reno, try O43 (oscar 43) Yerington, NV. It was $3.80/gal yesterday (I was just passing through on my way home from BC), and there's a great little cafe on the airport right by the fuel pump. I highly recommend the "Hangar Reuben" sandwich! :)

Forgot to mention, KLOL (Lovelock, NV) is also pretty cheap. We were gonna stop there originally but picked O43 for its reputed cafe.

Last edited:
If you haven't made it to the fence at the Valley of Speed for an Unlimited race, you need to. You can plug this into Google Earth for an approximate location (you'll see the RV's when you get there): 39?41'6.85"N 119?54'14.04"W

Here are a few pix I took last year from the Valley of Speed.

reno2006_20060916_131.jpg

reno2006_20060916_731.jpg

reno2006_20060916_773.jpg

reno2006_20060916_836.jpg

tps06a_20060917_496.jpg

Of course, if you can weasel your way out to a pylon, that's well worth it to. Took this last year too:
reno2006_20060916_469.jpg

I'm going to be there too. I can't wait!! First time to the races, and since my friend is flying me down in his 172 it will be my first flight in a GA aircraft too!!!

I'm heading down Friday evening after work and spending the weekend there. T-3 days!!

Qual times are up on the RARA site go to the race database and search for just the year 2007, it will sort by class and speed.

My first year

Looks like this will be my first year to attend. :) Have a booth with full pit passes. Heading out at 8am Weds and coming hope Monday, can't wait. :D

We had an enquiry about Reno on a UK site, here is my reply........................

Don't go each day, I would suggest Thursday, Friday, Sunday - take a day out to see the other bits, go to Virginia City http://www.virginiacity-nv.org/ or Minden - gliding, or Pyramid Lake, Lake Taho or somewhere to take in the sights of Nevada (apart from fanny and gambling).

Now, the races - get the pit pas, wander down to the far hangars and meet the redneck racing brigade who are the salt of the earth, are in it to win it and are great.

Watch out for passing traffic, espescially on Friday because Fallon is just down the road and you get the occasional F15/6/8 doing the course because they can.

Bleachers - get as close to Section 4 ( We're not worthy :) ) as possible because they are barking mad, you get the best view of the hooties and they are super nice folks.

When the last race is finished - don't hurry.

Go grab a margarita and slip into the executive box area. There you will find a few northern roughies with some colonials from Maryland - ask for Pete or Lil.

This is where the action is because when the show has finished all sorts of informal things happen - this is when the first jet race took place, this is where all the good tackle flies by.

Other than that, check out the Basque restaurant down town - no menu, a few tables and great food and company. Sunday night go to the Mexican - Mi Casa Too, 2205 West Fourth St Reno - Sublime.

Don't get your tickets on th line - go to Scolari's en route, it is the exit before or on Lemon Valley. They sponsor the do and offer cheaper tickets. Also, get the parking on the west side where the boy scout parking is. They appreciate the business.

It is the best event in the calendar - it won't last, go now and enjoy

rv969wf said:
Looks like this will be my first year to attend. :) Have a booth with full pit passes. Heading out at 8am Weds and coming hope Monday, can't wait. :D

Hey Alan, I'll be hanging around Mike Dacey's Questair Venture a lot, hope we run into each other and can trade some engine or RV stories. Look for a tall, slim dude with a white hat, gray sandals, blue fanny pack and biking shades.

Looks like the NXT's are finally going to come into their own.... Relentless ran a 378+ qual (which I believe is a new record). Unofficially, Jon Sharpe ran a 390+ on his second lap, but didn't call for the clock.

Remember, both of these guys are "super sports" which means they can run up to 720CI, and NOS if they like and both a dual turbocharged.

Lots of new stuff this year in the Sports class, new geared motors that haven't proven themselve out yet, etc.

Should be a fun Sport class this year... I'm headed out tomorrow...

aadamson said:
Looks like the NXT's are finally going to come into their own.... Relentless ran a 378+ qual (which I believe is a new record). Unofficially, Jon Sharpe ran a 390+ on his second lap, but didn't call for the clock.

Remember, both of these guys are "super sports" which means they can run up to 720CI, and NOS if they like and both a dual turbocharged.

Lots of new stuff this year in the Sports class, new geared motors that haven't proven themselve out yet, etc.

Should be a fun Sport class this year... I'm headed out tomorrow...

Should be good alright. Too bad about Parker however. NOS , turbos and Lycomings make for a short DNF however and plenty of shrapnel and oil to clean up.
:eek:

rv6ejguy said:
Should be good alright. Too bad about Parker however. NOS , turbos and Lycomings make for a short DNF however and plenty of shrapnel and oil to clean up.
:eek:

True statement - but add a couple of sponsors with deep pockets, a good knowledgable engine-builder, and it's only gotta hold together for 15 minutes! :cool:

I know, but 15 minutes is about 12 minutes too much here. You can't screw with physics. There is still some hp to be discovered with more boost while forgetting nitrous IMO on the Contis and Lycos. Their main problem is getting enough fuel to the engine through the mechanical injection- especially on the 550s. The turbos are not even being taxed yet so nitrous makes no sense in this application.

Getting off topic here - but if the problem is becoming getting enough fuel through the mechanical injection systems for these race engines, why not pre-inject a specific fuel/air mix ratio into the manifold BEFORE it reaches the cylinder, after the boost and intercooler, but keep the fuel/air mix on the far lean side of the combustion envelope to prevent detonation on compression. Then you would still need to inject additional fuel into the charge in the cylinder for combustion, but not nearly as much (perhaps half?) as the full load of fuel being injected now. You would also get some additional cooling effect from vaporization of the fuel in the post-intercooler manifold which would help with densification of the charge. As long as the pre-mix is kept well lean of the combustion envelope, nothing could cause a catastrophic intake manifold explosion.

Granted - I'm not an engine builder - I would assume if this is as simple as it appears, someone would be doing it by now.

Last edited:
Mechanical FI

Hey guys, there's no problem getting fuel to the NXT's engines. I can double the fuel air ratio to the engine if I want . Ask me how I know. As for the Continentals, well, their on their own. We don't mess with that stuff.

Don