Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
I was just leafing through this morning's issue of "Airventure Today" as I get ready to hit the road to leave Oshkosh, and came across their article on next years plans - looks like the cat is out of the bag, and next year will indeed feature a Tribute to Richard VanGrunsven! The RV-1 project is going to be a big part of that, as will several other things in the works (but I'll let other's announce what they are doing.

Now that EAA has made the announcement, look for more information on the RV-1 project, and how you can get involved - Doug told me he might set up a little niche' here in the forums for announcements and discussion, and of course, there is an official web page (www.rv-1.org) under construction where you can go for all the information.

Next year is going to be great if you are a Van's Fan!

Paul

Outstanding! Long over due, but better late than never. This should be a great motivator for anyone finishing up their RV, and for those who are completed....BE THERE! Lets make next year a record breaking attandance by VAF! Get your RV to OSH for 2012!

Last edited:
Great Guy!!

That is Great and Well Deserved!!! I had a chance to visit with Van at Airventure last Friday. Always a pleasure to converse with him.

Roberta:):):)

Perfect!

That is uncanny timing. Awesome.

I vowed not to go to Oshkosh until I could fly my own homebuilt there. With parts starting to go to the paint shop I think I can safely say Oshkosh 2012 will be the one.

Vans Tribute

My 9A should finally be done for 2012. I have been telling people I am planning to fly into OSH next year, for the last three years. This time.... I think it is true. I would love to be part of an RV celebration.

B.T.W. Two more points..

- This year I happened to find Van himself manning the booth at Oshkosh. It was my personal show highlight to chat with him for a few minutes and let him know how thankful I am for being able to build such a great airplane. I got an RV grin out of Van. Very cool!

- I plan to make a contribution to the Friends of RV-1

2012 Airventure Plans

I didn't get to go to Airventure this year due to some "significant events," but I do plan to go next year. With this announcement, it makes it an even better reason to plan to attend.

That is uncanny timing. Awesome.

I vowed not to go to Oshkosh until I could fly my own homebuilt there. With parts starting to go to the paint shop I think I can safely say Oshkosh 2012 will be the one.

Well, my -10 won't be ready and I'm not sure I want to break off and get the -6A painted, but I'll definitely be there. I'll definitely be ready for the 50th anniversary, though.

By the way, Judith had an interesting idea for an airshow flight - RV-1 trailed by the most recently completed RV to attend OSH - the first to the latest. I was thinking a flight with a representative of all the models would be a cool idea.

Last edited:
I was thinking a flight with a representative of all the models would be a cool idea.

Already in the works Patrick! It was one of our first ideas - an in-trail flyby of all the Van's designs, in reverse order. Sorta like the demo flights of the rutan aircraft this year - but with RV's!

1600 rv's inbound to osh.

Sounds good but there are not that many qualified RV Formation Pilots. It may be hard to just get enough interested Qualified RV Firmation Pilots to fly one 40-RV Formation Flight. If there is as much interest in the rest of the RV Formation Groups as there is with the West Coast Raven's group, there will be no problem getting qualified carded pilots. I have about 20 interested pilots with RVs and Formation Cards in our West Coast Ranen's Formation group.

One of the things that the EAA Reps asked us about as we talked of the RV-1 project was whether or not we thought there would be interest in an RV Mass Arrival. "You know, there are Bonanza mass Arrival, Cessna mass Arrivals, Mooney mass Arrivals.....why not an RV Mass Arrival?" asked the fellow. Those of us with RV's in the room looked at each other and replied...

"I thought that's what they called Saturday!" :)

One of the things that the EAA Reps asked us about as we talked of the RV-1 project was whether or not we thought there would be interest in an RV Mass Arrival. "You know, there are Bonanza mass Arrival, Cessna mass Arrivals, Mooney mass Arrivals.....why not an RV Mass Arrival?" asked the fellow. Those of us with RV's in the room looked at each other and replied...

"I thought that's what they called Saturday!" :)

I thing I would have said Sunday.

I have not seen enough discipline in the RV Comunity to do a mass arrival like the Bonanza's do. All the Bonanza guys have been to TRAINING and PRACTICED before the mass arrival.

There is a very good chance that there will be a mass arrival of 40 or so TRAINED, PRACTICED, and CARDED RVs for AirVenture 2012.

Last edited:
2012 Van's Tribute

I hope the Van's Tribute comes off better than the Rutan Tribute. Might want to talk to some of the EZ guys that sat in their planes waiting to participate in the "parade of flight", only to have it cancelled so the Aero Shell T-6's could perform. "homebuilts are not the future of EAA", may be closer than we think.

Good excuse to make 2012 THE year for me too as a first-timer. The -10 even moved to the airport a few weeks ago after 5.5 years in the making!

Formation RV Fly-by

There is a very good chance that there will be a mass arrival of 40 or so TRAINED, PRACTICED, and CARDED RVs for AirVenture 2011.

Condor is thinking 2012- Must be Osh withdraws, :D
I was enjoying that Beach model fly-by and thinking - Not only the 40-ship RV, but also the RV models in the flyby parade. That was until tail-end V-tails had to fly through the Barons wake turbulence. looked like full roll correction- can you say- separation and stack up in the trail ?!
From the Western- RAVEN's group, it sounded like most are planning on going. If that's the case for most of the FFI RV groups around the country, I think the Bonanza group can be matched! That Formation fly-by should include the 10 and 12 Models! I have heard Falcon and other formation leaders open to the intial training in the clinics for this- But the Builder/pilots would have to step up- real real- Soon! Going to one Heck of a time. But I'm not camping next year- Planning on renting a house(or 3) by the airport- any takers!!:p:D:p