LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
One of the problems of the pay-as-you-go approach to building an RV -- especially if you're just a regular working guy -- is by the time you're about to put it all together, some of your components have been sitting for an awfully long time.

I started the project in 2001. Last night I was figuring out whether I could install the TruTrak harness in a servo in the right wing that's been installed for years (note: No, you can't. :(). The wings spent most of their life in the family room downstairs, a dehumidifier by its side. A couple of years ago they moved to a corner of the hangar, where they've stayed covered by a plastic tarp since. So I haven't given them much attention.

I've reached the stage of the project where I have to buy a prop and some other expensive things (I'm about to start the cowling), so I've been avoiding spending money while doing little dinky things like this.

Anyway, close inspection of the wings shows there's now a fair amount of corrosion on them... small spots scattered throughout.

Just another "thing" to worry about.

So should I stop what I'm doing and scrub them all down and then prime and paint (even though up to now I've had no interest in painting my own plane and -- probably -- no real ability to do so, let alone the facilities, equipment or money to do so)?

Or should I just push to get this darned thing done and flying (probably by next year) and then get it into the paint shop and let them worry about it?

Good morning Bob, We are about in the exact same place in the build of our planes. I bought a used prop the other day and am waiting for it to arrive. Money has been tight the last couple of years and has really slowed the progress. I am going to try to get mine finished before the end of the year or next spring and am going to fly it for a while and then see if I can afford to send it to Grady's for paint. I would probably marinate the insides of the wings with Corrosion X at some point. The stuff is greasy so I'm not sure if I would do it before the plane is flying but trying to prime the inside of a finished wing would be tough I imagine.

I have ordered new parts because I couldn't find the ones I had only to find them later. I have moved my project a half dozen times from the basement to the garage to the shop and back. I won't attempt another build until I'm retired and can work an 8 hour day in the shop until it's done.

I have ordered new parts because I couldn't find the ones I had only to find them later.

My next plane will probably take a bit longer. Whenever I touch and then put down a part of piece of hardware, I'll log it on a computer exactly where it is. :D

I spend half my time looking for stuff that "was here the last time I checked."

Build On

Bob:
While you may notice it, the oxidation that's occurred so far is probably so slight that anything you do prior to final painting will do more harm than good. If you think about it, the inner surfaces of much of the aircraft is generally not painted. Lots of 40-60 year old production metal still flying in the same condition. Time to find something else to worry about. Better yet, build on.
Terry, CFI
RV-9A N323TP

Last night I was figuring out whether I could install the TruTrak harness in a servo in the right wing that's been installed for years (note: No, you can't. :(). The wings spent most of their life in the family room downstairs, a dehumidifier by its side. A couple of years ago they moved to a corner of the hangar, where they've stayed covered by a plastic tarp since. So I haven't given them much attention.

Can you go into a little more detail about this? I'm not following what you're saying. I put a Trutrak in my flying -7A. I'm assuming you mean the d-sub doesn't fit?

This has been solved two ways:

1) Ditch the shell
2) A 90-degree adapter similar to this. My local Fry's electronics had one. :)

Keep on going, Bob.

This has been solved two ways:

1) Ditch the shell
2) A 90-degree adapter similar to this. My local Fry's electronics had one. :)

Keep on going, Bob.

Right. The DSUB connector. difficult to see to get it installed correctly and even if you get it in, you can't get a small screwdriver in there to secure it. Also the bend in the harness during installation is pretty severe.

But thanks for the link. I was wondering if there's such a thing. Now I know.

I would paint the parts first before doing a Corrosion X treatment. I had my Cessna treated over a year ago and the stuff is still weeping out of the seams and joints.

Your right, Paint before using Corrosion X or you will have a big mess. Sorry.

"My next plane will probably take a bit longer. Whenever I touch and then put down a part of piece of hardware, I'll log it on a computer exactly where it is. "

That's a great way to make your computer hard drive go South in a few months. :)

Last edited:
D Sub on wing servo

I noticed the same issue and wound up putting a U-bend in the wiring as it comes out of the D Sub. I taped the U Bend and then squirted E 6000 (silicone adhesive type stuff) into the taped area to "pot" it into a protected U shape.

I only did this after I needed to alter something after it was all installed. You can get pretty fast at removing the servo from underneath an installed wing just enough to put the D Sub on AND SCREW THEM IN, which was an even bigger pain! Practice makes perfect!

As to finding things that were just there...one of the laws of the universe is that when a friend walks in, they can see the "I've been looking for something for the past half hour" look on your face. They will then invariably pick up a tool that is right in front of them and ask "is this is what your were looking for?" and of course, it will be! The only consolation is a little known Newtonian law of "conservation of lost stuff", which means that you will find their lost stuff in their hangar just as easily:D

Keep at it!

Jeremy
Phase 1

Hey Bob,

I'm in about the same boat, building and paying as I go. Add a new baby in there and whew boy [girl]! I too had my wings covered with some painters plastic to keep the dust off and dirt out. One day I uncovered one of them to find a zillion little corrosion specs all over where, I expect, the plastic touched or nearly enough touched the wing and allowed moisture to collect and stay in contact with the wing. So, off came the covers for good. I have had them stored for an embarrassingly long time uncovered and they show no signs of distress. Funny sometimes what we do to try to protect things seems to do more harm than good.

I am starting to get my building momentum up after a good long hiatus and am having to re-learn things that were common knowledge a while back. But, I can still drill out a bad rivet like a pro!

Mike

I would paint the parts first before doing a Corrosion X treatment. I had my Cessna treated over a year ago and the stuff is still weeping out of the seams and joints.

My Piper was done 10 years ago. And it is still weeping.......:mad:

Last edited:
Nevr-Dull

Bob,

Before you get to serious about corrosion control, try using some Nevr-dull polish. I had mice decide to leave some presents on my stored empenage a while back. The Nevr-dul took carea of the light corrosion. Other areas needed a sanding, brass brush and buffing before priming.
http://www.nevrdull.com/

Puhlease complete that airplane!

This reader of Flyover county needs closure. How long must we wait to see those wheels hit the grass at Osh?