rick57

Sponsor
Found an RV 6 that has been in a hangar for 8 years at least. Well built, no corrosion on the airframe due to priming. But, the engine gives me pause. Borescope the cylinders and cam, drain oil and let it settle and see what shows on filter media? Fog the cylinders and crank to see if oil pressure builds? Or just bite the bullet and plan on a new or overhauled engine and skip the inspection? Yes, I really like the plane and look forward to it flying but,but,but I am not about to purposely try off airport landings due to engine failure. Plane is not a lost cause but it will be a labor of time and money! Please advise!

Found an RV 6 that has been in a hangar for 8 years at least. Well built, no corrosion on the airframe due to priming. But, the engine gives me pause. Borescope the cylinders and cam, drain oil and let it settle and see what shows on filter media? Fog the cylinders and crank to see if oil pressure builds? Or just bite the bullet and plan on a new or overhauled engine and skip the inspection? Yes, I really like the plane and look forward to it flying but,but,but I am not about to purposely try off airport landings due to engine failure. Plane is not a lost cause but it will be a labor of time and money! Please advise!
You're on the right track with trying to bring it back to life. And you might get lucky. But after sitting idle for 8 years, assuming it was not properly preserved and maintained in that state, I'd guess you find yourself in need of some serious work on that engine. If it was me, with all the airplanes currently for sale, I'd probably look at something else. Even if you've got the money on hand for an overhaul, the lead times for parts and such could have you grounded for a long time.

--Ron

I bought an older certified aircraft that sat for 10 years. I ended up replacing the fuel pump, carb, vacuum pump, and both mags. After I got it flying the old steam gauges started failing, one by one….

I bring this up because on a certified aircraft they have mandatory TBO’s. Just because it has been sitting doesn’t necessarily mean it is bad. But some things go bad just sitting. I’d get a pre buy inspection and borescope the engine. If everything looks good, I’d get it running. I would pull the top plugs and get some oil in there, and pull it through a few cycles. Pull the bottom plugs and pull it through a few more times.

Let it warm up and do a static full power check. After that a compression test and draw oil for an oil analysis.

After you have all that data, you should know something. I’d want to know why it got parked in the first place.

Check/ask if the engine was properly preserved with the appropriate oil??
I also agree that « other » stuff, rubber, seals, tires, etc. can be affected while sitting idle.
I once had to change the complete vaccum hoses behind the panel driving the instruments on a certified Cessna because of age as they were brittle and falling to dust when touched.
If not familiar with a RV, find someone that is and willing to do a thorough pre-buy inspection
Good luck

I bought an older certified aircraft that sat for 10 years. I ended up replacing the fuel pump, carb, vacuum pump, and both mags. After I got it flying the old steam gauges started failing, one by one….

I bring this up because on a certified aircraft they have mandatory TBO’s. Just because it has been sitting doesn’t necessarily mean it is bad. But some things go bad just sitting. I’d get a pre buy inspection and borescope the engine. If everything looks good, I’d get it running. I would pull the top plugs and get some oil in there, and pull it through a few cycles. Pull the bottom plugs and pull it through a few more times.

Let it warm up and do a static full power check. After that a compression test and draw oil for an oil analysis.

After you have all that data, you should know something. I’d want to know why it got parked in the first place.
Owner's health....a local RV builder and mechanic knows the plane. It could be a money pit...many thanks for advice.

Buy it assuming you will overhaul the engine. I.e. get it at the appropriate price, and make sure you can afford to o/h the engine if necessary. Then fix it up and fly it. Every hour you get before o/h is free. Might get 100, might get 1000.

Engines with corrosion don't fail catastrophically. They use oil and make metal. In other words, they talk to you.

You could always have the engine IRAN'd. I had Barrett Precision do just that. With an IRAN anything that is good stays and anything bad is replaced. With an Overhaul there are many parts that are replaced even if perfectly fine. That's require to comply with the Overhaul checklist. An IRAN could be a whole lot cheaper and instill confidence in the engine. If an IRAN gets out of hand it can turn into an Overhaul.

Please don't overlook hoses. I'd do a proactive replacement on them assuming they are not silicone. Leaks in these hoses can cause an engine to stop very quickly.

I'd also drain the fuel tanks and oil, looking for water or any other sign of contamination.

You may have found a gem, but be careful. Best of luck!

Buy it assuming you will overhaul the engine. I.e. get it at the appropriate price, and make sure you can afford to o/h the engine if necessary. Then fix it up and fly it. Every hour you get before o/h is free. Might get 100, might get 1000.

Engines with corrosion don't fail catastrophically. They use oil and make metal. In other words, they talk to you.
Kinda one of my thoughts as well. Many thanks, Rick

Please don't overlook hoses. I'd do a proactive replacement on them assuming they are not silicone. Leaks in these hoses can cause an engine to stop very quickly.

I'd also drain the fuel tanks and oil, looking for water or any other sign of contamination.

You may have found a gem, but be careful. Best of luck!
I'm hoping it's a gem! And I also know it will take some work, so I need to get it bought and get busy readying it to fly! Many thanks for the advice. Rick

Any chance that specific RV was in a hangar with a floor that was partially blacktop, partially dirt? Just wondering if it's the same one I had a cursory look at a year or so ago.

concrete floor, metal building, rotors are rusted, tires flat but plane is in good shape other than unknown engine internals. Waiting on owners to respond to my request to purchase.

concrete floor, metal building, rotors are rusted, tires flat but plane is in good shape other than unknown engine internals. Waiting on owners to respond to my request to purchase.
Rotors are rusted says the hangar is moist for sure especially since it's on the gulf coast.
So hangar is better than nothing, But, moisture is the enemy of engines avionic and such. And we know these Lycoming engines hate moisture on their cams.
Concrete floor means nothing about moisture unless a person is positive there was a visqueen vapor barrier underneath it when it was poured. Most don't.
My old rented metal hangar years ago had a concrete floor and sweat like crazy many a time. And I live inland in Washington.
My hangar now is fully insulated sheet rocked, painted etc.
Do not fail to get a pre-purchase inspection by a knowledgeable RV mechanic if possible
My luck varies FIXIT

TBO's are only mandatory if it is used commercially and even then FISDO's can waver the TBO to on condition.

You could always have the engine IRAN'd. I had Barrett Precision do just that. With an IRAN anything that is good stays and anything bad is replaced. With an Overhaul there are many parts that are replaced even if perfectly fine. That's require to comply with the Overhaul checklist. An IRAN could be a whole lot cheaper and instill confidence in the engine. If an IRAN gets out of hand it can turn into an Overhaul.
Yes, but do it before you grind the internal rust into every part in the engine. If the internal cylinders are corroded then it is likely the cam followers will be too. Otherwise the overhaul will be well short of TBO, and will require more parts than normal. It is a cost per hour effect. Just not good (long term) economics to run it now.

As mentioned figure an overhaul/IRAN from the start, then do it and fly happy and confident.

... because on a certified aircraft they have mandatory TBO’s. J
This is incorrect.

Quoting from Clarification of Inspection and Overhaul Requirements Under Part 91:
"b) Overhauls are Maintenance. By definition, overhauls are a form of maintenance,not inspection, and are not included in an inspection program. Overhauls are part of themaintenance program. Part 91 operators are not required to comply with a manufacturer’s entiremaintenance program; as such, overhauls are not mandatory for part 91 operators"

Attachments

• n_8900.410.pdf
    82.5 KB · Views: 39