N941WR

Legacy Member
Just a list for those who follow.

Please add items that may be required but are not included in any of the kits.

1) Upper and Lower gear leg fairings.

2) Electric fuel pump

3) Carb heat muff & carb heat hose to air box fitting

4) Stick grips

5) Seats

6) Harnesses

More...

7) Aileron Trim

8) Crotch Strap Attach Hardware

9) Parking Brake

10) Static Port(s)

I stuck to stuff that, while optional, is not likely to be left off by most. I didn't put in steps, passenger brakes, or wiring conduit, those are a bit more "optional" than what is on this list so far.

George

Last edited:
more & more

nutplates and screws!
How ever many you think you will need extra double it you will probely still be short.
G.P.

Bill,
I can't understand why Vans doesn't include the intersection fairings in the finish kit. Its kind of weird to get the leg fairings and wheel pants without the intersection bits. BTW The near gale force winds yesterday caused me to stay on the ground and finally make a couple stick booties. They turned out pretty good and got a thorough flight testing today.

Wow! A clear, calm and cool sky, wheel landings on grass and paved runways, and some new booty(s) after work. Life is good!

You won't find any of these in the kit, but you will definitely need them!
(in no apparent order)

1. Determination
2. Perseverance
3. A Rivet Buddy
4. More Hours in the Day
5. A Third Hand
6. Tools
7. An Understanding Wife or Husband
8. This Website
9. The RV Community

and last but not least

10. Elbow Grease

Not in wing kit

Proseal is ordered separate, assumes it'll take you some time to be ready.

All the panel pieces

The wire for the plane.
The wire ties and attachment hardware.
Pitot tube and mount (if you want a good one).
The fiberglass stuff (cloth, resin, etc).
Sandpaper, pin-hole filler.
Primer/paint.

Blank Panel?

I'm waiting on my fuselage kit and starting to plan the panel. In the catalog, Van's shows a "VFR" panel for the models that's already punched. Since that's not anything like I want, I've been assuming that a blank panel came with one of the kits. Is that not true? If not, do they give us a .dwg or a .dxf file so we can have one cut?

Probably a silly question, but I'm just wondering.

A sack of cash or two, preferably $100 bills. You'll need this and then some.

Jerry Isler
RV4 N455J
Cessna C140A N9641A

Can't believe nobody mentioned this one:

Engine.

And then there's all the firewall forward parts and prop. Although Vans does sell all of these items.

On the intersection fairings, I think they used to be a part that the builder had to make themselves. Vans only recently started selling them.

You wouldn't know it from looking at the plans, but all the RV's are short on trim tabs. The RV-7, -8 and -9 require at least two. The -10 requires 3 or more...

Regardless of what the extra parts are, I would submit, that on average, the cost of the kit times three will be what you need to put out at a minimum. Assuming new parts. You may be able to reduce this by living with less or scrounging for used parts; however, it's easy to exceed this by spending a lot on avionics and hopped up engines.
The big self supplied "kits" are the engine and accessories, prop, interior and panel. Plus a lot of misc stuff like epoxy, wiring, and paint.
The sky really is the limit.

Not to start with...

osxuser said:
Good building skillz... not everyone one should be building one of these babies either :D

You can develop building skills as you progress. The key to doing that is not to be impatient and being willing to ask for help and paying attention.

I have never built anything mechanical before (even though I am an engineer) I started my plane. I attended the class on how to rivet and then order my tail kit. I talked to lots of people and had many visits from EAA tech counselors to guide me. I volunteered my project for the local builder group meetings and collect more advise. And not lastly I used the web and this site for guidance.
My plane is not a "Grand champion", but it fly very nicely and I trust my construction to be correct.
If I could do this, I think anyone could if they will just approach with the idea that this is an educational adventure and that they need to learn.

Kent

kentb said:
You can develop building skills as you progress. The key to doing that is not to be impatient and being willing to ask for help and paying attention.

I have never built anything mechanical before (even though I am an engineer) I started my plane. I attended the class on how to rivet and then order my tail kit. I talked to lots of people and had many visits from EAA tech counselors to guide me. I volunteered my project for the local builder group meetings and collect more advise. And not lastly I used the web and this site for guidance.
My plane is not a "Grand champion", but it fly very nicely and I trust my construction to be correct.
If I could do this, I think anyone could if they will just approach with the idea that this is an educational adventure and that they need to learn.

Kent
I disagree with that opinion (at least partially). I've seen some really poorly built RV's, even by the time someone gets to the wings and fuse... Not everyone is cut out for building. Sure anyone could do it with your approach, but some personalities just never get to that approach, and never will.