Mohammed

Patron
YES !! it is official I'll come to Oshkosh 2011.. it is my 1st visit to Airventure and my 1st visit ever to USA and hopefully not the last.. I already got my visa and bought the flight tickets :D I want to see as much as possible RVs and if lucky enough got couple of rides :D Also I hope to attend some of the workshops during the show (any suggestions?)

Two weeks before Oshkosh, me and wife will be touring the country. Most probably we'll be at Orlando, FL. and after the show we will leave back home via Washington DC. We are thinking to fly from Orlando to Chicago's O'Hare and then drive to Oshkosh then after the show drive back to O'Hare and fly to Washington DC. Is there any better suggestions like flying to and from an airport closer to Oshkosh?

Any suggestions as where to stay? (unfortunately my wife doesn't like camping). I am looking up the internet and visitoshkosh.com but it will be good to get the oshkosh veterans feedback :)

Finally, any tips for new timers?

See you there :cool:

Welcome

Hi Mohammed,

I'd suggest that you drive from Orlando to Oshkosh, so you can see more of our beautiful land and its people. You'd also be very welcome to spend a night in our home in Louisville, Ga, about 300 miles north of Orlando.

My email is pierrejs65 at yahoo.com

Regards,

Congrats Mohammed. No matter how you get there or where you stay you are going to have a great time. Don't forget your camera. :D

Mohammed,

That sounds like one great trip you have planned.

Be prepared for aviation overload at OSH!

Last edited:
Mohammed,

You could fly into Milwaukee, Wisconsin, KMKE. It's about a 90 minute drive from there to KOSH. KORD (O'hare) is not too bad of a drive. Probably 3 hours or so.

You will want to get to the Van's tent about 1 hour before it opens to get on the list for a "factory demo" ride. Otherwise, it'll be tough. I am just outside of MKE and depending on my own KOSH plans, would be more than happy to give you a ride in my RV. You can email me through my VAF profile.

Finding a place to stay will be tough. You may have to drive a bit each day to the show and back. Cities such as Oshkosh, Appelton and Fon Du Lac are not far away. Additionally, Ripon and surrounding communities will have small motels with some availability.

Pierre has a good plan, but it would depend on how much time you have. If you were to drive up, I am sure you could get a few rides. I am right on your way, and you could spend the night. I will be leaving for Oshkosh on Thursday morning. Finding close housing will be difficult, but hopefully not impossible. Camping there is fun, if all else fails. Since you didn't mention it, I do suggest going to airventrue.org and under "about," click on "video for first timers." This is the best video EAA ever produced! Plan on staying as long as possible, and let us know where you will be. Enjoy!!

Bob

Any suggestions as where to stay? (unfortunately my wife doesn't like camping). I am looking up the internet and visitoshkosh.com but it will be good to get the oshkosh veterans feedback :)

There were rooms in Ramada of Fon-du-Lac as of last week. You will have good time enjoy the show!

Hopefully you'll give a few days to the DC area, there is a lot here to see. If you have enough time we can meet up at my home airport just North of the city. At AirVenture, we camp in the North 40 and fly most mornings. You are certainly welcome to fly with me while there. This way you'll get a chance to experience a rite of passage by flying into the show plus get to see it from the air.

Hi Mohammed,

I'd suggest that you drive from Orlando to Oshkosh, so you can see more of our beautiful land and its people. You'd also be very welcome to spend a night in our home in Louisville, Ga, about 300 miles north of Orlando.

My email is pierrejs65 at yahoo.com

Regards,

Thank you Pierre for the kind gesture and invitation. Land trip is a great idea but I don't have the time.. I may do it in the future though

Congrats Mohammed. No matter how you get there or where you stay you are going to have a great time. Don't forget your camera. :D

Thanks trg, you are right but with good planning you get the optimal enjoyment. I am buying two SD cards just for the trip

Mohammed,

That sounds like one great trip you have planned.

Be prepared for aviation overload at OSH!

Thank you Bill.. I think nothing can get you prepared to OSH ;)
Mohammed,

You could fly into Milwaukee, Wisconsin, KMKE. It's about a 90 minute drive from there to KOSH. KORD (O'hare) is not too bad of a drive. Probably 3 hours or so.

You will want to get to the Van's tent about 1 hour before it opens to get on the list for a "factory demo" ride. Otherwise, it'll be tough. I am just outside of MKE and depending on my own KOSH plans, would be more than happy to give you a ride in my RV. You can email me through my VAF profile.

Finding a place to stay will be tough. You may have to drive a bit each day to the show and back. Cities such as Oshkosh, Appelton and Fon Du Lac are not far away. Additionally, Ripon and surrounding communities will have small motels with some availability.

Thank you Tony for the tips.. I will consider MKE as an option. Also thank you for the ride offer, I will PM you as soon as I got myself sorted out.

As for the stay I don't mind a short (relatively) drive as I'll be staying the whole day at AirVenture and then drive back when I am done

Pierre has a good plan, but it would depend on how much time you have. If you were to drive up, I am sure you could get a few rides. I am right on your way, and you could spend the night. I will be leaving for Oshkosh on Thursday morning. Finding close housing will be difficult, but hopefully not impossible. Camping there is fun, if all else fails. Since you didn't mention it, I do suggest going to airventrue.org and under "about," click on "video for first timers." This is the best video EAA ever produced! Plan on staying as long as possible, and let us know where you will be. Enjoy!!

Bob

Thank you Bob for the kind gesture and offer. I am aiming to make it for the Navy day (Wed 27th) and onward.. If I am lucky and convenes my wife to leave Orlando earlier I'll make it for Bob Hoover day (Tue 26th). And that video? I have seen it many times man! :rolleyes:

There were rooms in Ramada of Fon-du-Lac as of last week. You will have good time enjoy the show!

Thanks Vlad for the tip :)

Hopefully you'll give a few days to the DC area, there is a lot here to see. If you have enough time we can meet up at my home airport just North of the city. At AirVenture, we camp in the North 40 and fly most mornings. You are certainly welcome to fly with me while there. This way you'll get a chance to experience a rite of passage by flying into the show plus get to see it from the air.

Of course! I am staying at DC for four days from 7th till 11th of July. I got to see the National Air and Space Museum.. Thank you for the kind offer :eek: I will PM you soon.

Regards,
Mohammed

Mohammed,
If you do get a chance to go to the National Air and Space Museum (NASM) in my opinion, the NASM Udvar-Hazy Annex at Dulles International is where you want to go. It's larger than the main musem in DC and has more aircraft on display. However, you can't go wrong with either choice.

I am all set for OSH this year!!

USA Visa ... check!
International flight ... check!
Flights to Milwaukee KMKE ... check!
Ramada Plaza Fond Du Loc ... check! (a bit expensive and a bit far but was the best available option)
Car rental ... not check