algrajek

Well Known Member
After Four grueling hours,And Thanks to tips from Mutha(Jon Thocker), I got the engine hung solo on the 8 today.
Tip: Use Bullets( An7 bols cut off and grinded down) to help line up and then follow bolts thru the mount tabs. DO NOT ASSume that because the bullet is short enough on one side, to go through the mounting tab and come out the other side and clear the engine case( so as to retreive it), that it will fit the oter side! Ask me how I know!:^)
Nordo

Oh yes I know what you are talking about. Did the same one year ago and still remember the struggle. Congratulations! The rest will be easier :)

Four hours? Why so long? ;)

Following the instructions here on the VAF, I was able to hang my Dynofocal 1 engine in 45 minutes, and that was solo. Just work slow and follow the instructions and it will go well.

Good to hear you got it hung!

I say congratulation on doing an engine hang solo. So many people have to have a big crowd to hang an engine and it really isn't a big deal. Doesn't matter how long it took, you got it on. There will be many more milestones and solo's along the way. I bet you're getting very excited on getting the plane done.

Now like I said, doesn't matter how long it took. I do these things all the time and yes I got mine on solo in 40min and torqued and put in the pins in that time.

When I hung the wings that was done in about 10 min each side with the help of my daughter, that's with jumping inside and putting in the bolts. Now, torquing the bottom bolts was a little extra for I had to modify the wrench(nose wheel) but it still went fast. I guess I had another stopper, the left wing had a problem with one of the small bolts, seems I was lucky enough to have a nutplate that wasn't tapped. Arrrg, talk about tough stuff to tap.

When someone says, how long to build an RV, things are all relative to your experiences. Mine are high in the mechanical so things went faster. Yours might be a little slower, but your getting r done and that's great. keep at it.

Last edited:
I want to add, if you have the dynafocal mount to be very careful on the placement of the washers. you need washers on the bottom against the engine, if not you can break some things when you start up.

I did it solo and it took a few hours as well. Next time, it will go a lot quicker, now that I know how to do it. I remember it was a tad scary seeing my $20K+ engine dangling from the hoist for the first time!

Dynafocal Engine Mounting - Additional Info Requested

I am about to remount my engine, O-0320, dynafocal mount. The first time did not go smoothly and I am looking for addtional information on how to go about it. This thread helps, using a bullet to line up the holes. However, there is reference to information on VAF concerning this subject. Is there one or two particular postings that cover the subject well? I was unable to locate any.

"An Illustrated Guide to Engine Hanging" in the Firewall Forward section of this site.
Bill Brooks
Ottawa, Canada
RV-6A finishing kit

Thank you

If I only had this information the first time. This will be very helphful. Thank you for the reference.

John