tthrew

Well Known Member
Hello - I've replaced my GNS 430 with a GNC 355 (unit and rack/chassis). I'm trying to " rack in" the 355 and I'm having zero luck using the 3/32 hex drive tool I used on the 430 (and my other Garmin devices) to seat the 355 into the rack - the tool does not connect. I used my bore scope to look down the "tool insertion hole" - it looks like a nut in there, not a hex socket - hmmm...

Did Garmin change the tool needed, or do I have a different issue??
(I could not find anything in the 355 installation manual that mentions the tool - the 430 manual does).

Also, the 430 had a port/nipple to attach tubing for external, forced fan cooling. The 355 does not have this. I'm guessing the 355 does not use an external cooling source (internal fan is good enough)?

Thank you for your help!

Tim,
I installed a GNC355 in my -7 and the standard 3/32 hex is what I use with no problem. That is the standard tool for most all Garmin equipment. Make sure you are not using a metric tool. No cooling called for in the installation.

Got it!

Thanks Jake.
After posting and getting feedback - I zoomed in on the borescope picture I took. It appears there are two tangs partially covering the hex socket. I just had to be more aggressive in my seating of the hex tool into the socket. (never had to do that in my other Garmin devices)
Thank you again - problem solved (we like the easy ones)