Mark Henderson

Well Known Member
My flap handle came bare steel. I was surprised since the rudder pedal components and control sticks were powder coated.. I assumed there was a reason. Today I started on section 32 and discovered that the wd-1216 flap pushrod was coated. This made me wonder if the flap handle should be as well. The only photo I could find is on Marty Santic's blog, and it looks like it is coated. Is yours?

Mark,
My handle came bare metal as well. This was unexpected, but I think this is standard. I agree that it should be coated as well.
Bruce

Paint from Marty

I got a can of spray paint from Marty that he had match colored to the same color as the other parts that came powder coated. It is a perfect match. Not as good as the powder coat, but looks pretty good ( for now ).

John Bender

sure...it needs to be powdercoated...to many opportunities for a moving stick in the middle of the cockpit to get chipped up....I did the entire assembly (not the bearing).

Thanks for the info

This is one time I have to wonder what in the world Van's was thinking. The 1/2" x 12" long push rod that is barely seen is powder coated. The flap handle which sticks up in the middle of the cockpit is not!

Search the threads. If memory serves, there is a spray paint with a Ford color that matches.

previous thread addressed why as well

The reason it was not powder-coated was addressed in the previous thread as well. As I recall, someone checked with Van's and they indicated it was due to the welded-in bearing.

I had paint mixed using the formula Marty provides (via pictures) on his blog and plan to use it instead. There are other items that I plan to use this color on anyway (handles for the wing pins, antenna and battery/oil cooler trays on the firewall). Also good for touch-up down the road if any of the powder-coated items chip.

I added a foam hand grip after cutting the end off. Looks pretty good and should keep it from getting beat up.

I used the powered coat color paint from Cardinal Industrial Finishes A-4108-GR230. They are the guys that make the power coat products, I think this is the same paint Marty uses. Works great, but adding a clear coat of polyurethane makes it even tougher.