RudiGreyling

Well Known Member
Hi Guys,

I have searched this forum but could find a suitable answer, only one reference, (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=9330) so I?m going to ask.

Is the Van?s Firewall Forward kits worth it for the RV7?

Considering:
1) The Engine I am leaning (currently) towards an XP IO 360 CS with Roller Tappets; and
2) That I am situated in South Africa (SA), which means less availability and choices of manufactures and suppliers compared to the USA ease of ordering and shipping)

Q1 )To the guys that have gone before me, is it worth it? Or can one do better?
Q2) If one considers the bulk of Van?s stuff is OK, what would you replace and get from somewhere else. Since I have basically one chance to get orders together and shipped at the same time from my forwarder in the USA to SA.
Q3) What is not included that I will have to source elsewhere?
Q4) Lastly what kind exhaust is standard in the Van?s Kit? I see a lot of talk currently on exhaust on the forum. Can one do better without increasing a lot of cost?

Thank your very much in advance.

Kind Regards
Rudi

Yes its worth it as you dont have to shop all the small bits. Remember to order the correct exhaust for the XP engine. Dont ask me how I know.
There will be parts you dont use but all the major stuff is there, including things such as the controls, air filter , alternate air etc etc. Stuff which you would have to order seperatelly otherwise.

Yes, be very mindful of the selection of your FWF kit.

The Van's FWF kits are only for the series of engines that Van's sells, with the exception of providing the exhaust for the Superior Ryton sump.

Van's no longer sells a vertically inducted injected engine, so if you're using the metal sump you'll need to piece together a kit (they do sell the requisite parts, i.e. throttle/mixture bracket for updraft injection). I'm just now starting my FWF stuff but so far everything is working out fine.

If you're using the Ryton sump, just be sure to order the special 'Superior' exhaust that they sell.

Hey Rudi,
Request a parts list from Van's in advance (with part descriptions, not just the numbers) so you can figure out what to delete. Things like the wiring harness, heat selector, alternator, fuel hoses are all candidates -- among others-- depending on what you plan to get from other sources or make yourself.

Paul

I used the FWF kit and found it to be very complete and with good materials. The only thing I found that could be better was the electrical wiring part. I used a lot of the wire in it, but supplemented additional wire for some of the extras I added. They put a lot of extra battery cables in the kit that you will not use. If you have limited access to parts and will need to order a lot of parts, I highly recommend it. Add CBs and switches and several hundred feet of additional wire in various gages. I ordered many accessory items from Van's as well, like gages and flight instruments. You might be able to save some extra time and shipping costs by having them ship as many things as possible all at once.

Roberta

Hi Guys,

thank you very much for your comments so far...

I think I defnitely going the Vertical Fuel Injection XP 180 hp engine route at this stage, since my cowl have the scoop on the bottom.

Any additional comments? Especially on Engine Choice and Exhaust with Van's FW FWD kits?

Thank you very much

Kind Regards
Rudi

Rhino Horn

With the vertical facing Fuel Injection and Rhino horn intake, every time you remove and refit the lwr cowl you need to connect the intake; which is an absolute pain.
With Horizontal Intake Fuel injection the intake is permanently connected to the filterbox in the baffles, positioned just inside the left engine intake. It all stays connected when you remove the cowls.

I also recommend Vans FWF kit and if you go for Horiz Induction it sounds like they can supply the exhaust as well.
Pete.

I echo previous comment that you get a materials list from Van's prior to ordering. Since I had a fair amount of parts already in hand, alternator, exhaust, etc., my FWF kit only came to $1800US. Serious savings over the entire kit. Pick and choice, but the parts I did need are quality and true time savers.