dwranda

Well Known Member
Another newb question. I'm putting together my air intake from James and it seems to interfere with this tab on the starter. I don't see that I would be using any of the 4 tabs coming off the starter. What is it for and can I get rid of it so I have an easier installation for the filter assembly?
20220215-154829.jpg

Last edited:
For some reason when i make a post and try to attach pics all from my phone the pics don't show up. I have to do it from my laptop. Must be a reason

On some installations, there is a short link between that tab and the engine case, gives the starter s bit more stabilization. Some, it is omitted. Doesn't seem to make a lot of difference as long as there are no kickback issues. I had the issue, broke the starter, as did two of my neighbors, then P-mag came out with "Mod 40" which prevented the mag from firing until there was sufficient momentum. Also, since I am running a pumped up engine, I retarded the P-mag spark one tooth, 2.4 degrees.
Take a look at your engine case, see if there is a boss with a threaded hole for the starter brace.

Regards,

DAR Gary

Forward facing induction

On my build I couldn't use that mounting point and it was problematic for the forward facing induction/air filter. I accepted the possible warranty issues and trimmed mine out of the way.

YIO 390 from Thunderbolt with FM-200.

On my build I couldn't use that mounting point and it was problematic for the forward facing induction/air filter. I accepted the possible warranty issues and trimmed mine out of the way.

YIO 390 from Thunderbolt with FM-200.

Yes problematic is the exact word I would use to describe it. Looks like I'll be following your lead and losing that tab. Thanks!

My application: IO360 w/ AF servo w/ horizontal orientation. Trimmed two tabs off my NL149 starter to allow good routing of intake snorkel.

Take a look after all your accessories are installed and make the call. Note: there is a short link called out in the plans (RV7)

Attachments

• starter.jpg
    starter.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 166
  • starter link.jpg
    starter link.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 132
  • starter link2.jpg
    starter link2.jpg
    420.7 KB · Views: 132