From what I understand it is real. For all of the checkairmen out there please take note the position of the thrust levers after the control swap.

Actually it appears they turned a normal Three engine approach into a Two engine approach. No one noticed that they pulled the wrong throttle back!

JMHO

It's amazing that with that many skilled people on board that they we able to drive it straight into the ground.

Wow, that's an eye-opener. Does anyone know...did they have the first engine inop'ed through some other means than the throttles (fuel cutoff maybe)? Hard to believe that they intentionally left 2 engines with the throttle out.

I wonder if they keep criteria for go-around during simulated emergency (like stick shaker, or terrain warning).

It was the first flight or so of the AMP C-5. I guess that new glass panel that was telling them they were too slow and too heavy was just too much info for them.

I love how the copilot asked to fly so he could get credit for an emergency landing. Classic.

N916K said:
So, did you mean it was the first flight (or so) for this particular aircraft because I thought the first AMP flight was at the end of '02(?) This incident was in April of this year. :confused:

C-5 Crash

I was a pilot flying C-5's out of Dover in the 70's. The two inboard engine thrust reversers are deployable in-flight. The Ramstein crash occured when an inboard thrust reverser deployed just after lift off killing the entire crew. This is why this latest crew shut the engine down as a precautionary. This was a total failure by all members of the crew, which is why they call them accidents. One thing is sure, this crew will never fly again.

so what happened

ferret said:
I was a pilot flying C-5's out of Dover in the 70's. The two inboard engine thrust reverses are deploy-able in-flight. The Ramstein crash occured when an inboard thrust reverser deployed just after lift off killing the entire crew. This is why this latest crew shut the engine down as a precautionary. This was a total failure by all members of the crew, which is why they call them accidents. One thing is sure, this crew will never fly again.
Let me make sure I understand, #2 was bad, but they pulled #3 back and no one caught N1 (FAN) was down on #2 (the bad engine) and #3 the one they inadvertantly shut down. Doha!

From other comments someone implied the Dover accident (4/2006) was fatal. All 17 crew member survived. I gathered from comments above that was not the case. All 17 crew members aboard survived.

Ferret what relation to Ramstein (90-91' desert-storm-I) to this Dover deal? You mention thrust reverses. Unfortunately the the 1990 deal was different in that 13 of the 17 crew died. The Dover crew was fortunate no one was killed

Ferret, can the C-5 NOT fly on 2 engines or was it too heavy or just got too low and behind the curve? I did hear one pilot I guess say they "they where concerned, twice". That was a good thing but it was too late.

I guess the lesson I learned here is when you have that, I AM NOT COMFORTABLE or I AM CONCERNED feeling, is take action earlier than later. I know I filter or suppress the thought and look for it to get better sometimes, which most of the time it does.

I don't fly military but I do land at mil bases that do have C-5's on the ground some times. They are monsters.

Last edited:
FlyerJumper said:
So, did you mean it was the first flight (or so) for this particular aircraft because I thought the first AMP flight was at the end of '02(?) This incident was in April of this year. :confused:

I just called the girlfriend. You are right, the first AMPed C5 was a few years ago. There was something new about that plane, but it wasn't the AMP, I missunderstood the girlfriend. The C130 AMP is new this year. Flew last week, then broke an engine syncro. Maybe they should just put the money in J's instead of fixing up 30 year old H's.