ShortSnorter

Well Known Member
I am about to work on the foam ribs on the RV-14 elevator and ordered what I thought was proseal from ACS.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/prosealant.php

Is this stuff the same thing/just as good? I'm sure the foam ribs aren't product dependent but I don't want to order this stuff when I get around to the fuel tanks if its not up to the task.

34xgfgg.jpg

169rvbn.jpg

Yes, the Flamemaster 'version' which Van's sells. Actual Proseal is a PPG product and quite a bit more expensive.

Yes. AMS-S-8802 (Mil-S-8802) is the proper spec and this is one of many materials that meet the spec.

Check other threads in the forum. There might be some brand preference.

I used this stuff extensively for my tanks. One thing you need to aware of with this particular configuration/container - you must "activate" the entire container to use it. For the foam ribs, this will result in a lot of waste, as you need much less than this container holds. Vans sells very small containers - those are what I used for the foam ribs in the elevators.

My recommendation: buy a quart container from Vans (you mix up only the volume you need at any particular time) and use it for the various small jobs like this one as you need. Buy the tubes (your picture) for major sections of the tanks. (I used 6 tubes for the tanks).

Not proseal, but has same mil spec and works just as well. I used it on my tanks with no issues.

....One thing you need to aware of with this particular configuration/container - you must "activate" the entire container to use it....

With a little care you can empty this sealant package into a container for the pale stuff and another for the black stuff and then use just what you need. Don't mix it first, of course.

I've done it twice now, putting the larger volume into a sour cream container and the smaller black goo into a medicine bottle.

Works great!

Dave

I do not know how long it will take you to do this part of the build but I seem to remember that ProSeal will last a long time after mixing if stored in the fridge.