cjensen

Well Known Member
i found this on line. it's a HUGE compressor, but the price is right. i'm not sure i'm gonna paint the airplane myself, so i wonder if this is just a huge beast of a compressor to have around. anybody have something like this? do you like it?

thoughts?

BIG air compressor

compressor

If the price is right go for it. I'm now Scothbriting my airframe with a DA sander in prep for paint and the compressor can't keep up.

Bigger is better. Arh, arh, arh, arh, more power!!!

I have a similar compressor that I picked up used from a closed service station owner. Mine is twin cylinder (Ingersol Rand T-80).

It sets outside my shop is plumbed into the walls and on its own 220 circuit. BTW, they are heavy.

As Wilem said...you can't have too much shop air.

Deene.

Just make sure it is not 3 phase

Just make sure it doesn not have a 3 phase motor on it (not likeky, but worth checking)
Alan

is it feasible to convert the 3 phase to single phase?? change the motor? some sort of external converter?

We used to jump three-phase arc welders for single-phase electricals when I worked in the field as a pipeline welder many years ago. I'm sure an electrician can run a curcuit for you in your garage to get it to work as long as your electrical box has the capacity.

3 phase and size does matter

Why not just wire 3 phase, I missed that. That is how electrical power is distributed in the US. It is supper simple to wire up a 220v. I know I did it and if I can do it.... George. A three phase motor will not work on single phase. I stand to be corrected. I guess you could convert it, but 220v is much more powerful and efficient. 110v is motor is like running an engine in 1/2 the cylinders.

You can never have a two big compressor. The down side is the space it takes. If you got room go for it. If you ever want to move or need to it will be a colossal pain, but people move refrigerators. If you go a deal go for it. George

cjensen said:
is it feasible to convert the 3 phase to single phase?? change the motor? some sort of external converter?
Solid state 3 phase converters are available to locally generate three phase power for situations like this and it is fairly simple to create your own rotary three phase converter using a spare three phase motor you may have laying around. If you do a little web search you can find circuitry (capacitors) that allow the converter to start on its own.
My brother and I used a pull string wrapped around a pulley to start the converter for a machine shop for several years. We finally broke down and built the capacitor starter when we went to CNC machines.

All this, of course, will "wreck" the good deal aspects of the used compressor.:(

-mike

Last edited:
well, i just talked to my father who used to be an electrician, and from what he says, 3 phase is not available to residential customers. some 3 phase motors can be converted by redistributing the internal wiring IF the motor came new with this feature. 3 phase is easily availabe for industrial use, not at home though.

i'm pretty sure we could wire 220 in the garage without a problem, but 3 phase power seems to be my biggest obstacle right now.

cjensen said:
actually, i think it is 3 phase...what's the deal on that?

Unfortunately (as you seem to have already found out), this almost certainly takes your compressor out of the "good deal" category.

Chad,

As your father said, you won't get 3 phase power to a residence. You could get a solid state phase converter, but it is probably not worth it for a compressor. It would have to be a very good deal to make it worthwhile, like free :)

yeah, the more i look in to this, the less of a "deal" it becomes.

actually, as luck would have it, i ran into a friend this afternoon who has a larger (than mine) compressor he is not using, and told me i can borrow it indefinately. don't know how big it is yet, but i'm gonna go look at it tonight. you never know... :rolleyes:

WOW! I get home from teaching this stuff all day and BANG! Here it is on my home computer! The internet... I hear they are gonna have it on computers soon!

Chad, ummmm, well... Where do I start? Maybe a bulletized list? Okay...

Pro's

1) Cheap (that is good 'cause hooking it up is gonna be a DOOZIE in a residential area!)
2) No other pro's

Con's

1) Need 3-phase power (in a residential situation, you just can't get it.)
2) No other con's

That was easy!

:lol:

Seriously, the question is... What is 3 phase power and how do I get it?

It is where you have 3 "hot legs" 120 degrees out of synch with each other. Essentially a phase shift in the sine wave of the AC magnitude.

3psinewave.gif

Each one starting a climb to max voltage after the next. This makes for a very EFFICIENT motor. Not necessarily any more powerful. You can have an equally powerful (output horsepower-wise) in a single phase motor. A three phase motor is akin to log splitting. A single man striking a maul on a wedge cannot be compared to three men with mauls 120 degrees apart, striking the same wedge. One BIG, strong man could potentially beat the three... meaning there is more "power" there. Kinda like the single/three phase "thing".

How do you get it?

Well, you could buy a phase converter. That is the UL approved, thouroughly engineered, dependable, safe way to go. Buuuut, what is so fun about that!?! We are tinkerers! Let's do some "Ghetto FAB!"

Here is a simple THREE PHASE GHETTO CONVERTER!!!

Need:
1-3 Phase load (your compressor)
1-3 Phase motor of equal size (or better)
1-Everything else to hook it up

Concept:
Make Three Phase power from Single. Single phase power is 180 degrees out of phase.

typesofelectricity.gif

Net result due to vectoring, less leg to leg voltage.

We need to create (by induction) a THIRD leg!

How? Well, we get another three phase motor and hook it up to the TWO legs we have in a single phase system. It has higher voltage and can limp along on two legs, but not enough to really have much torque.

Soooo, we tie the three legs of the limping motor to the three legs of the compressor motor. There will be an "INDUCED" voltage present in the third leg of the liming motor. It will be roughly 20-35% lower, but nevertheless... will BE THERE!

This induced "Phantom" leg is enough to make the compressor run at nearly full power!

DANGERS:
1) No UL testing HAS EVER BEEN DONE on this!
2) Overload protection needs to be in place!
3) No manufaturer has ever made anything to set this up.
4) Depending on phase rotation, reverse operation could result.

Nuisances:
1) Limp motor may need a twist to get going. This means that you will need to stop work and give it a spin to start the motor. "HASSLE"!
2) Fabbing up the motor starting gear is complicated at best.

I HAVE done this in my lab at school for demonstrations and it DOES work!

I would only hook it up at my house or someplace where someone FULLY understands what is going on.

Disclaimer: This is TOTALLY GHETTO! Don't do it!

With that said, give it a try!

Sorry for the long read.

:D CJ

Good job Captain John

As I followed this thread I was trying to figure out how to put on paper just how we wired up an old three phase lathe using a extra old three phase moter wired into a single phase line but couldn't without getting everyone really mixed up. Captain John your responce was excellent.

THANK YOU!

I am a per-fessional!

:D

I will be here all week!

Thanks for coming tonight!

;) CJ

P.S. seriously... if you guys have any power and light questions... feel free!

:)

cjensen said:
i found this on line. it's a HUGE compressor, but the price is right. i'm not sure i'm gonna paint the airplane myself, so i wonder if this is just a huge beast of a compressor to have around. anybody have something like this? do you like it?

thoughts?

What stage is your building project?

I found that one can never have a compressor that's too big!

Peter Laurence

Captain_John said:
... if you guys have any power and light questions... feel free!
CJ, If I am driving my car at the speed of light, and I turn my headlights on, what happens??? :D

Does that qualify as a "light" question? ;)

RV7Factory said:
CJ, If I am driving my car at the speed of light, and I turn my headlights on, what happens??? :D
Need more information:

Is is a nosedragger or a taildragger, and how fast is the conveyor turning?

Hahahaha,

Brad... your lights come on!

:p

Just the other day I was on final approach, inverted. I deployed my landing gear and got to thinking... am I putting gear DOWN?

:cool: CJ