Experimental Chaos

Well Known Member
I?ve been working on my project for several years, and have not kept a log, or documented anything. There are a few pictures (very few), I just read in another thread, about a buying a project w/o documentation, I?m not planning on selling, but is this going to be an issue when I go to get it signed off? I?m an A&P and should know better, it?s just that I don?t like paperwork, unless it?s absolutely necessary.
So, at this point how much trouble am I in?

IMO, this should not pose a problem but will depend on the FSDO or DAR. Our local guys are pretty lenient - they basically need to ascertain that you actually built the airplane. I think that becomes pretty obvious to most folks after a few minutes discussion, as anyone who built the airplane will know all the details inside and out. I kept a moderate log in excel, which was just a list by date of what I did. I took photos sporadically. In the end, I assembled a short log for the inspection, but the FSDO didn't even look at it. Obviously, YMMV.

cheers,
greg

Documents

Mike,
I too am an AP/IA, and just had my RV-4 certified. I worked on mine for 15 years, and had a fair amount of photos...none with me in the actual picture. I had all my reciepts, and most importantly, had the updated Bill of Sale form from Vans.I never did a written log, but had some dates and steps "checked" in my builders manual. I had my inspection done by the local FSDO,and the inspection went without a hitch. Got pink slip and flew the next week.In my case, very little time was spent looking at any pictures or logs, but I had accurate answers for every question asked. I doubt you will have any problems if you have the required FAA forms, and the BOS as requested. I waived the repairmans certificate, as I (AP) am certificated as are you. Feel free to PM me if you need any more info. keep on building !!
Bill E.
RV-4/N76WE
Advance NC