Darren S

Well Known Member
Hi group,

I an looking at a used RV with a Lycoming A1A angle valve (200 hp) with 120 SMOH, with compression of 76/80, 74/80, 74/80 and 72/80. Total time on engine is 1100 hours.

Is this compression ok ? does it indicate something I should be aware of ? I might add that it is in a flying airplane.

Thanks,

Darren

There are a lot more things to look for in an engine than compression. Does it run smooth? How much oil does it burn? Does it leak oil? How much fuel does it burn?
From a compression standpoint alone, you engine looks fine. The thing you are looking for on a compression test is that all cylinders have similar readings.

Thanks for the help Mel. I'll ask some more questions. The seller flies the plane regularly so that is a good sign, I think.

Darren

Flying a "used" 200hp A1A. I would suggest you be conservative and have a mechanic boroscope it, drain the oil and cut/inspect that the filter has not trapped metal "filings" (each with teeny weeny part numbers on them <smile>). Earlier advice on oil consumption and physical signs of oil leakage are good, as these can be fairly oily engines. Finally, you did not mention what accessories were included in the SMOH.. eg, mags, fuel servo or carburetor, fuel pump? All AD's complied for this specific engine including the proper oil impeller "gear"?
Hope this helps a bit.
Regards,
Len