Eric B

Hello,

When I got my wing shipment, I noticed that the inside of the spar box crate got wet. :eek:
The torque-tube looks thus:
dcp30870od.jpg

So, this was part of a subkit, and several pieces were Saran-wrapped together, all others were aluminum. Some parts DO have a chalky-white type of look, while others just have a discolored appearance. But, the discoloration will not come off with lacquer thinner, and it does feel rough to a fingernail. Only scotchbrite will remove the discoloration. I am wondering if this is OK, and I can prime over everything, or should I file a claim for all parts with ABF. Also, the other box had one side crushed, and the wing tips were damaged.

Other pictures follow:

Rear spar doubler with discoloration, and orange peel appearance
dcp30869va.jpg

Thanks, guys.

More pictures...

Push-pull tubes
dcp30888lr.jpg

Flap-gap seal with white patches, discoloration, and scotchbrite marks
dcp30890cc.jpg

Those tubes looks rusted to me. Looks like they have been wet for a little while! I would not be happy with this, have you contacted Vans about this yet?

Airman

Talked to Van's

I inventoried all the parts that might have a little of the stuff on them, and contacted Van's. Spoke to Barbara. I told her one box was damaged, noted on bill of lading, and that it looked like other box got wet inside. I tried to tell her that it looked like the torque tube actually got dripped on, but she said that probably didn't happen at the factory, but she would look around. It almost loos to me like someone walked from one building to another, while it was raining, and the steel torque tube got wet, which means those other parts got wet. You can actually see moisture under the air bubbles on the blue plastic on the parts. She didn't sound very promising for getting them to try to replace the parts, but I have noticed that the spar box top looks like it did get wet. There's a line on the side piece of the box that makes it look like the inside half of the side piece stayed dry, while the outside half got wet. Maybe rain got in that way? ANyway, she type up an invoice for the parts list I sent her.

Eric

I would say it's a good chance it did not happen at Vans, but most likely happened during shipping. Who was the carrier? And have you contacted them also, did the boxes look wet when they delivered them? For water to get under the blue plastic, it would had to been wet for some time for it to seep in there.

The pic?s are a little fuzzy. But those pieces do not look to good to me. Especially the torque-tube!

Hope you can get it resolved!

Can it be cleaned off?

Living in Europe, I'm used to getting treated badly by my suppliers,
particularly the shipping companies. If it is possible to clean off
the corrosion without too much trouble, that's what I'd do. Of
course, if Van's will replace all the parts - why not?