danielhv

Well Known Member
I ran by Harbor Freight and picked up 5 - 2" C-Clamps, and 5 - 5" C-Clamps (for only $18 total I might add!) and I came across this compressor... is it a good deal? Good brand, etc? Will it be sufficient for everything involved in building a 7A or would I be better off getting one from Home Depot or Lowes?

Reason Im asking is cause this one was $399 in the store today...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=55391

I might be a little concerned about buying something with so many moving parts from Harbor Freight. Also, are you aware that it's a 220 volt?

The specs are way more than enough for your needs, but the quality of the unit is a bit of an unknown factor.

Or, in other words, it should work just fine, as long as it works--------

I have had overall good luck with Harbor Freight in the past, however YMMV.

I might be a little concerned about buying something with so many moving parts from Harbor Freight. Also, are you aware that it's a 220 volt?

Yes, I wanted to find one that can be converted back and forth from 110 to 220, but havent found one yet.

60 gallons of hot air

I have a 60 gallon, 220v,two stage, 150psi import compressor in my shop to build my 7a. I think the beauty of the larger capacity is that while using my air drill or pnematic squeezer the thing might recharge two or three times in an evening of building. (notice I didn't include the airhog cut-off tool) It's not going to see run times like a commercial shop or service station, so spending serious dollars on a Devilbis or even a Porter Cable is not always the best use of funds. Mind you, one of the reasons I bought such a large volume compressor (besides painting my plane myself) was to blow out my irrigation lines around my property.(ya, ya... it really does get that cold around here);)

Should be...

A friend bought one earlier in the year for his hangar (similar sale price)...

As long as it works initially, it should be a good deal for that price, if not take it back... HF is usually good with returns.

I would have bought one at the same time, but I can't see dumping my old C-H one that I bought from National Lumber (long since gone) about 18 years ago... it just won't die - even though it was the cheapest one I could find in LA at the time...:)

Even if you only get half the life out of it compared to a name brand, it will be a better $ per cu. ft. of air value....:)

In reference to the other comment, there really are not that many moving parts in a compressor...

gil A

Last edited:
I've found the reliability factor is somewhere between 0 and not at all

Most tools from Harbor Freight have an added convenience. They are PRE-broken from the factory in China. In other words, the reliability factor is somewhere between 0 and not at all.

If you're gonna use an HF compressor to paint, have a spare compressor on hand that's tapped into your air lines and quality air drier system. Don't buy the regulator from HF. They're junk with a capital J.

Recently, HF had cutoff tools on sale for $14 apiece. I bought two because I knew neither would last. Sure enough, the switch on the first was broken, out of the box, but the second one allowed progress to continue.

Barry

the stuff ive bought

ive bought plenty from harbor freight to build the plane with belt sander, bench grinder, band saw, buffer , porta band,2 cordless drill , lost one,sand blaster, blasting cabinet, bending break, digital micrometers (These work exceptionally well.) rough service light bulbs. i bought them from hf because i figured it was limited to needing them for the plane. they have held up well. iv have seen at different times while standing in the store many compressors being returned. bought a pry bar similar to a snap on i own to let my students loose and, well i folded it up while prying on a part. and a pickle fork for seperating ball joints last week broke in half. their hand tools are wortheless but ive found some stuff thats worth what ive paid. the compressor may be ok and if your done with it at the end of the build then maybe even more so. if you want to use it later for other project then get a sears, lowes or some thing similar.....the large tank, belt driven and twostage is the way to go. as far as the stuff about oiless for painting. i would ignore that. all paint shops have huge belt driven oiled compressors.

Yes, I wanted to find one that can be converted back and forth from 110 to 220, but haven't found one yet.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00919541000P?vName=Tools&cName=Compressors+&+Air+Tools
This is the one I have from Sears, which has the convertible power (110/220) and runs nice and quiet. Most stores will have one sitting on the floor with a $100.00 or so price reduction.
The one you're looking at from HF says it's 240 volts and 22 (!) amps. That's a lot of power (almost 5000 watts) and will require its own dedicated wiring run and outlet.

Last edited:
Daniel,
I have many Harbor Freight tools in my shop. I have two air drills that have built 6 airplanes and still going. At $19.95 each, they have more than paid for themselves. That compressor looks like a pretty good deal to me. Yes, once in a while you get a dud from HF. But at their prices, it's worth a shot. If it doesn't work initially, take it back. One thing I won't by from them is things with cutting edges like blades.

air compressors

The larger units like this one don't have to run all the time. That's nice if the thing is in your garage.

Mine is a Campbell-Hausfeld 60 gal, 6 hp.

I bought it at Home Depot a few years ago for about $400.

Its 60 gal alright, but I'm not sure about the 6 hp part.

The motor name plate clearly says: Output 2.98 KW which is exactly 4 hp.

I think they use something called "peak HP" when rating these motors.

Anyway, its worked great. You'll need to feed the thing with a 2-pole circuit breaker.

I installed a small subpanel (load center) in the garage for this. I use a 30A, CB and #10 CU wire.

If you want to plug your compressor into a 120V, 20A outlet, you're pretty much limited to 1 - 1.5 HP.

All I know and then some about air compressor:D

Dave

The larger units like this one don't have to run all the time. That's nice if the thing is in your garage.

Mine is a Campbell-Hausfeld 60 gal, 6 hp.

I bought it at Home Depot a few years ago for about $400.

Its 60 gal alright, but I'm not sure about the 6 hp part.

The motor name plate clearly says: Output 2.98 KW which is exactly 4 hp.

I think they use something called "peak HP" when rating these motors.

Anyway, its worked great. You'll need to feed the thing with a 2-pole circuit breaker.

I installed a small subpanel (load center) in the garage for this. I use a 30A, CB and #10 CU wire.

If you want to plug your compressor into a 120V, 20A outlet, you're pretty much limited to 1 - 1.5 HP.

All I know and then some about air compressor:D

Dave

Yea, I definately want to run it at 220 while at home.... but when I move to a hangar someday, I want to be able to convert it to 110 since 220 may not be available.

Is a compressor listed with the power specifications that say: 208/240... is that the same as 220? Or not even close?

True enough, but my policy on Chinese tools is that one moving part is one too many. :D

Like Japan in the past, and Korea in the present; I see the quality of goods from China on the rise. At least, once we get past the "lead" content. :D

After all, look at Hyundai, once makers of cheap and un-reliable Korean automobiles; that have now risen to a stature of good fit and reliability. Even KIA is getting better quality remarks. I recently read an article titled, "Think quality, think Korean".........that was rather interesting.

IMO, I believe that Chinese products along with the help of outsiders influence, will continue on the rise, quality wise. And they won't be as cheap, cost wise, either! :eek:

L.Adamson

Is a compressor listed with the power specifications that say: 208/240... is that the same as 220? Or not even close?

FWIW, many hangars do not have sufficient power supplies to run much more than a very small air-compressor. And then of course, there are some that can support hot tubs, A/C's, big screen TV's, and all the rest in their loft areas.

I have a large 60 gallon 240V. Lowes compressor in my garage, which was excellent for painting the plane; yet I can't even get my "on the job" compact compressor to sometimes run at the hangar without out letting the air out first. All depends on who's using lights, engine heaters, etc. :)

L.Adamson

bigger is better

opinions are cheap, so I'll offer one more for for free.
In my business we use a compressor a lot so I have had a little experience with this.

1) unless you like to listen to a compressor run for long times, go with a two stage. They are quicker and don't have to work as hard when the air pressure gets above 100psi. (not waiting for compressor to catch up.)

2) less run time, less wear, it should last longer.

3)I bought a compressor from a company that deals in remanufactured equipment and long story-short found out it originally was a snap on.
Remanufactured can be from left over stock, returned for repair, or the customer did not want. I usually figure if it has been repaired they had to run it to make sure it works, and it is usually cheaper $$.

4) If you check, these may all have came from china..?

5)when you move to the hanger, sell your compressor to another builder and buy a smaller one if it won't work. (Then you will think.. man this small compressor really makes a lot of noise... is it ever going to stop running..?

YMMV.. this post is worth everything you paid for it.

Todd Crowl
Northwest OH
Working on PPL
Dying to know what rv's are all about

voltage

Danielhv,

208V is the line-to-line voltage of a 3-phase system that's mostly used in commercial buildings.

The relationship between 208V and 120V is the square root of 3.

If your ever in Albuquerque really really bored, come over for some beers and I'll explain further............

Motors designed to operate on 220 to 240V usually work just fine on 208V but they draw a little more current (amps) to make the same HP.

You can't get much more than about 1.5 HP from a 20A, 120V receptacle so if you want a 4 - 6 HP compressor its going to need the 208 - 220 volts.

TOO much information..........sorry:eek:

Dave

I have a Sears almost identical to the one in an earlier post. I am on the downhill side of my build and this compressor has done a fine job. It supplies all the air I've needed and then some. It doesn't run all that much but a 60 gallon tank would make it run less. I didn't want the big tank because I wanted to be able to throw it in the back of the pickup if needed. Mine is 110 volts only and no more than it runs the cost savings of running it on 220 is not worth the hassle. My old Sears compressor lasted about 20 years before it gave up and I'll bet this one will too.
Most of the things I've bought from Harbor Freight self destructed before I got my money's worth.

Country of Origin

OK... who's bought a compressor recently?

Go out and check the label and see which country it was made in....:)

Then let us know....:)

How much is made in the USA these days?

gil A

I'm not a tool aficionado and haven't bought a lot of Harbor Freight tools but did recently buy the 60 gallon compressor from Lowes and like it a lot. If you decide to go that route, here's a way to get 10% off: visit http://www.lowesmoving.com and plug in your e-mail address and a mailing address. You'll get a coupon e-mailed to you in 2-3 days. I think you can use it as often as you like so long as you come up with a new e-mail address and home address.

Home Depot has a similar program, but they mail a coupon to you, so it's a little harder to get more than 1-2 coupons at http://www.homedepotmoving.com

Mike

I'm not a tool aficionado and haven't bought a lot of Harbor Freight tools but did recently buy the 60 gallon compressor from Lowes and like it a lot. If you decide to go that route, here's a way to get 10% off: visit http://www.lowesmoving.com and plug in your e-mail address and a mailing address. You'll get a coupon e-mailed to you in 2-3 days. I think you can use it as often as you like so long as you come up with a new e-mail address and home address.

Home Depot has a similar program, but they mail a coupon to you, so it's a little harder to get more than 1-2 coupons at http://www.homedepotmoving.com

Mike

AWESOME!! I AM going to get the one from lowes, and the 10% off should help out quite a bit! Thank you sir!!

gil A

Some, but they come at a premium. On the other hand, I plan to leave it to my granchildren and hope they'll do the same. Made in Michigan (motor made here in WI)... (SB does make smaller recips also. You can find them at industrial compressor vendors, not so much at Home Depot and the like.)

10-20-7009.jpg

gil A

The more cheap Chinese S*** we buy... the more we prop up their "quantity, not quality" business model... AND hurt the manufacturers of quality tools. I am as guilty as the next guy when it comes to bargain shopping... but am learning to turn the tool over and look for where it is manufactured. I am making a conscious decision to NOT support the import of junk. I don't care if I can buy two 'lectric whizzers' for $29.95 each... and just throw them away when they break. I'm going to buy ONE good one for $75 or $80 and be able to use it on my second kit! :rolleyes:

DJ

Last edited:
US General

I was looking at the US General compressors at my local HF a while back and I was surprised to see the tanks were US made and I think it had a US made motor on it too. I wouldn't hesitate to get one of them. Anything from Lowes, Home Depot, Sears, and Campel Hausfield are all usually made in China anyways.

Yes most of the items HF have is cheap China junk, but they do have some quality items.

Steer clear of anything they have that has the name "Central" on it. Such as the Central pneumatic compressors. At least don't expect much from it.

My Lowes Kobalt compressor, which is about two years old....

Has a sticker --- assembled with pride in the USA

Motor - Emerson - made in Mexico

There is a data-plate on the side, facing the wall, that I just can't see, to get the info.

L.Adamson

My Lowes Kobalt compressor, which is about two years old....

Has a sticker --- assembled with pride in the USA

Motor - Emerson - made in Mexico

There is a data-plate on the side, facing the wall, that I just can't see, to get the info.

L.Adamson

Yup! The tank has a sticker that says Assembled with pride in the USA.

The Motor is a Century A.O. Smith, assembled in mexico.

Husky 11.2 CFM 60 gal 220 v twin cylinder from Home Depot

Was on sale for $ 399, took it home. Go to a TSC the have the same price on a similar one (Husky is made exclusively for Home Depot).