FlyerJumper

Well Known Member
Wondering what others have done to debur holes inside opposing flanges. There's not enough room between the two flanges to get a deburring tool in there and hand spinning a drill/debur bit is akward at best. (in the pic it appears I'm talking about the spar caps, but I'm talking about the spar flanges themselves) It didn't take too many holes to realize I'm probably doing this the hard way. Anybody come up with a quicker way?

debur4ha.jpg

You want a tool called a Cogsdill Burraway. It looks like a drill shaft with a little spring loaded blade poking out the side. Spin it in a drill and send it through the hole. It deburs both sides of the hole in one pass. They cost too much, but they are really cool.

deburing

try a 90* snake and silver solder a bit to 1/4 28 stud. May need to get a friend with a lathe to get it put together straight.

I broke down and bought two burr-aways. Felt like an idiot for paying ~$60ea for glorified drill bits that won't even drill, but they are fast and can reach the back sides of holes. I don't know where people are buying them, but MSCdirect.com had the best price I found...

Before that, I had a stubby drill bit mounted in a length of fish-tank tubing (flexible vinyl hose) for reaching tight spots. It kinda worked.

For hand deburring I had a much easier time with a "standard" drill bit (#13 range, though the size doesn't really matter in this particular case) than any of the countersink-style deburring tools like in your picture. The drill bit did a better job too.

Last edited:
burr-away is the way

The burr-away is the way to go. Deburrs both sides at the same time, and is quick and easy.

I bought mine on EBay and when I broke one (tipped the drill over and bent the tip) I ordered the replacement directly from the company. They were very nice people to deal with.

Antony

FlyerJumper said:
Wondering what others have done to debur holes inside opposing flanges. There's not enough room between the two flanges to get a deburring tool in there and hand spinning a drill/debur bit is akward at best. It didn't take too many holes to realize I'm probably doing this the hard way. Anybody come up with a quicker way?
Simple. By far the easiest way I have found to quickly debur those troublesome out of the way areas is to use a ball file or stone in my pneumatic pencil grinder. A Dremel tool with an appropriate accessory will work just as well.

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla"

For the most part, I just use the deburring bit with a long extension. It's at a bit of an angle but it seems to work okay. This falls under the "we ain't making jewlery" category. When it gets too tight for that, I rub it with a little emery, and then a bit of scotchbrite. I'm not recommending this...it's just what I happen to do.