Xkuzme1

Well Known Member
Does anyone know of any company that makes a 3 bladed, metal, FP prop?

I like the sensability/durability of my Sensenich metal 2 blade prop, but I'd really like to have a 3 bladed prop. The long term durability of the carbon fiber/wood props along with the higher amount of upkeep and weather flying just don't make me super excited about that idea.

I have to taxi down gravel to get to my hangar. That's the durability item that I am most worried about with wood/composite.

Have a look at the Catto 3 blade with nickle leading edges. I have had a Catto 3 blade (no nickle leading edge, though) on my -8 for 12 years and love it. In fact, I'm going to put one on my Bearhawk when it is complete.

I have to taxi down gravel to get to my hangar. That's the durability item that I am most worried about with wood/composite.

Gravel should not be a problem for taxiing. I flew a Mooney off a gravel runway for several years with no problem. Mooney has minimum ground clearance. The secrete is to keep rpm low when airplane is sitting still and accelerate slowly.

I think I'd worry more about metal/gravel than wood or composite. Wood & composite are both pretty forgiving of nicks & scratches; metal, not so much.

Rain erosion is a different story; I've actually had rain erosion inboard of the leading edge treatment on a wood prop. Happened in light rain & <2000 rpm. The prop carver obviously didn't extend the LE protection close enough to the hub.

Charlie

I have a friend with a Long EZ and Catto prop who, in the early days, had his exhaust exit the aircraft through the prop disc. You could see a very small impact dent which was easily dressed/filled. It would be no problem in gravel, especially with the new leading edge protection.

Catto 3 blade

Haven't flown it yet, but bought a Catto 3 blade for our RV-3 that is getting an engine overhaul and some mods. If it flies half as good as it looks it'll be worth the cost. Gorgeous workmanship and the nickel leading edges look great. Has some sort of taped protection for the small area inboard of the nickel near the hub.

Haven't flown it yet, but bought a Catto 3 blade for our RV-3 that is getting an engine overhaul and some mods. If it flies half as good as it looks it'll be worth the cost. Gorgeous workmanship and the nickel leading edges look great. Has some sort of taped protection for the small area inboard of the nickel near the hub.

Believe me, It will perform every bit as good as it looks!
I've been flying behind Catto 3-blade since December of 2003 and never looked back.