13brv3

Well Known Member
Greetings,

As you all know, you can get a repairman's certificate for a specific plane that you built. Doesn't it seem reasonable that you should be able to get a more general certificate, based on the type of plane?

For example, say you built an RV-6, and received the repairman's certificate for it. After a few years, you sell the plane and buy an RV-7 already built. Since you didn't build the RV-7, you can't do the conditional inspections, but realistically, you're as qualified to do the RV-7 inspections as you were the RV-6 inspections.

Does anyone think the EAA could, or should try to get the FAA to modify the repairman's certificate rules?

Cheers,
Rusty

13brv3 said:
Does anyone think the EAA could, or should try to get the FAA to modify the repairman's certificate rules?
Or we could just do it like Canada does it...

13brv3 said:
It already exists. Its called an A&P license.

RV6_flyer said:
It already exists. Its called an A&P license.

Certainly an A&P can work on any RV, because they're taught the skills necessary to work on ANY aircraft. I'm guessing they also spend a bunch of time learning to fill out paperwork that goes with certified planes. This level of training and privilages is not at all what I'm suggesting.

If you build an RV-8, I think your repairman's certificate should, at the very least, allow you to do conditional inspections on any RV-8 that you own. I also believe it should allow you to do conditional inspections on any similar aircraft that you own (any RV for example).

Cheers,
Rusty

13brv3 said:
How does Canada do it?
Couldn't quote regs or op lims, but I've been told (by Jack Dueck) that in Canada, anybody can do condition inspections on experimentals. That means...if the plane changes hands, the new owner can do 'em. PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG!

dan said:
Couldn't quote regs or op lims, but I've been told (by Jack Dueck) that in Canada, anybody can do condition inspections on experimentals. That means...if the plane changes hands, the new owner can do 'em. PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG!
Dan - you've got it mostly right, as I understand it.

The way I read CAR 571 only an aircraft maintenance engineer (our equivalent to an A&P) or the aircraft owner may sign off a maintenance release for an amateur-built aircraft. So, anyone can do the condition inspection, but only an AME or the aircraft owner can sign the maintenance release which records the inspection as being completed.

13brv3 said:
Certainly an A&P can work on any RV, because they're taught the skills necessary to work on ANY aircraft. I'm guessing they also spend a bunch of time learning to fill out paperwork that goes with certified planes. This level of training and privilages is not at all what I'm suggesting.

If you build an RV-8, I think your repairman's certificate should, at the very least, allow you to do conditional inspections on any RV-8 that you own. I also believe it should allow you to do conditional inspections on any similar aircraft that you own (any RV for example).

Cheers,
Rusty
I disagree.

As a DAR, I have seen Homebuilt airplanes that are airworthy and the builder qualified for the repairman certificate but he is NOT qualified (does not have the necessary intellegence, skills, decision making abililty, or know where to find the info need) to do a condition inspection on someone else's airplane or a similar airplane that he owns.

There are RV-X out there that are different from another of the same model because the builder did not build it in accordance with the plans and construction manual. Someone that built an RV-X in accordance with the plans and construction manual may not have the necessary skills to do a condition inspection on the RV not built in accordance with the plans and construction manual.

You do not need to go to a CLASS to get the repairman certificate for an Amateur Built Experimental. Look into the hoops that one must jump to get a do that on a LSA. There is formal TRAINING required.

If we are going to let a non-builder that is not an A&P do a condition inspection on a like airplane similar to one he built or on one he owns, let just do away with registration of aircraft, airworthiness certificates, pilot license, pilot license medical, and the FAA. No more regulation and any one can just go fly anything they like.

I agree with Gary on this

There is absolutely no way another RV-6A builder could inspect the condition of all the systems in my plane in a meaningful way and I could not do justice to any other RV-6A but mine. I believe the proposed "General" certificate would dilute a very good system and it would have a bad effect on safety. The Repairman Certificate is a major reward for building an airplane and it's continued existance is justified in the one plane, one builder, one Repairman Certificate system.

Bob Axsom

I'm perfectly content to disagree Gary (and Bob), but I can't believe I'm the only one who thinks these planes are all pretty much the same. I can see where it would be a problem if someone built an RV-X with a Lycoming, then bought one with a turbine engine, or a fuel injected rotary engine, but the difference between most RV systems is trivial. If someone can legitimately (not hired gun) build a plane, they can figure out any differences between similar RV's.

Cheer,
Rusty

Bob Axsom said:
There is absolutely no way another RV-6A builder could inspect the condition of all the systems in my plane in a meaningful way
Bob Axsom

I would argue that an A&P that has no RV-X experience would be any better at "inspecting the condition of all [your] systems", than an average builder. As a matter of fact, the builder at least has some knowledge of what was supposed to go where.

An A&P license is only as good as the experience of the person holding it. It's not a crystal ball or a superman cape.

Keep in mind that the regulation isn't just for RVs. Experimental covers everything from a quick build kit to a one-of-a-kind designed-and-built-it-myself Ruptured Duck. The politicians at the FAA probably don't want the responsibility of deciding who does what to whose airplane, so they keep it simple. If you build it, you can inspect it.