dvc4you

Hi Everyone,

I would like to start flying and eventually build an RV9A, but there is posibility that my company would be transferring me to the US.

If obtain my license in Canada do I have to retest once I move to the US? or I am better off waiting and obtaining my license in the US?

I am definitely waiting for the kit purchase until I move (tax issue).

FAA site has some info about this.. all you'd do is "validate" yours.. they issue you a PPL based on foreign PPL...

You can get issued an FAA licence from the local FSDO based upon the validity of your CDN licence but you must maintain currency/medical requirements of your CDN licence in order for your FAA equivalent to be valid. This can be a real issue if you are not near a CDN flight doctor for your annual medical. It probably would be best just to go ahead and get a new US licence but with the new Homeland security rules it could be a paperwork nightmare if you are not a US citizen. 9/11 justifiably put a number of rules in place to accomplish background checks and proof of residency to conduct flight training of non-US citizens at US based flight schools. Depending on where you are going and the flight school's training authorization it could very hard or just inconvenient.

Now if you are going to build a kit in the US and you are not a US citizen then you now have some more hoops to jump thru. If you are a non-US citizen I'm not sure you can get an N-number or even purchase an N-number aircraft. Your other choice might be to build it as a CDN experimental in the US. I know this is possible but you need to contact TC for the details. But in order to fly a CDN registered aircraft you will need a valid CDN licence. I know that when I lived in Colorado I looked at buying an N-number Piper Arrow and it was only possible for me to get it if I was immediately exporting the aircraft. Living in COS, I couldn't do it. Now times might have changed but it sure wasn't like going down to the local car dealer and getting a new set of wheels.

Life is not easy when you start the transborder flying game!!

LOL

Again, JMHO

:D

How about the reciprocal of that? I'm an American citizen who will be working for a Canadian company very soon. Once I have established my permanent landed immigrant status in Canada, I was considering getting my PPL in Saskatchewan. Will I have difficulty getting a Canadian PPL as an American citizen living in SK? It sounds like if I ever to come back to the States on a permanent basis that maintaining a Canadian PPL might not be that easy.

Ironically, I'm considering the 9A as well after I get a PPL.

Dave

Another source would probably be the ICAO (International Civil Avaition Organization).

They kinda set the standards for worldwide avaiation and could be of assistance to you. See them at http://www.icao.int/ or AOPA, of course!

:cool: CJ

No problem going south to north for the PPL. The restrictions on flight schools is not the same as in the US. You can earn your PPL and I'm sure the schools will gladly take your money. Only big difference is that you will have to spin the aircraft along with arrival and departure stalls.

Sort of an initiation thing, never could understand it myself. Oops, did I start something??

:D

LOL

Last edited:
N5XL said:
How about the reciprocal of that? I'm an American citizen who will be working for a Canadian company very soon. Once I have established my permanent landed immigrant status in Canada, I was considering getting my PPL in Saskatchewan. Will I have difficulty getting a Canadian PPL as an American citizen living in SK? It sounds like if I ever to come back to the States on a permanent basis that maintaining a Canadian PPL might not be that easy.

Ironically, I'm considering the 9A as well after I get a PPL.
I'm not expert, so this info is worth what you paid for it.

A gander at the Canadian Aviation Regulations (known as the CARs) seems to indicate that you must provide proof of your citizenship to get a PPL in Canada, but there is no requirement that you be a Canadian citizen. See CARs Standard 421.06(1).

As far as building an aircraft in Canada, it would appear that only Canadians can be owners of a Canadian-registered aircraft (CAR 202.15). CAR 202.15(3) might be a solution, as it allows a corporation to own a Canadian-registered aircraft. But I don't know if a non-Canadian can own a Canadian corporation.

Canadian PPL in US

Canadian license is not a problem in US. You will need to have it verified when you get to US. It is easy, but it takes a few weeks. Once your U.S. license is issued based on the Canadian license you will no longer need to maintain medical currency of your Canadian license as long as you have a valid U.S. medical of the appropriate category. The license will be restricted meaning your US license will have the same restrictions as your Canadian license, if your Canadian license has any (for example restriction on night flying). Just remember if you get ATPL or a Commercial you can only get a PPL in US. Ask me how I know?

Kevin Horton said:
I'm not expert, so this info is worth what you paid for it.

As far as building an aircraft in Canada, it would appear that only Canadians can be owners of a Canadian-registered aircraft (CAR 202.15). CAR 202.15(3) might be a solution, as it allows a corporation to own a Canadian-registered aircraft. But I don't know if a non-Canadian can own a Canadian corporation.

Sounds like it would be easier if I were to apply for dual citizenship status after three years of living in SK then. (which at rate I'm going, probably wouldn't be a problem!!) Thanks for looking that up Kevin...I appreciate it

Dave

Who is a Canadian?

Kevin Horton said:
... it would appear that only Canadians can be owners of a Canadian-registered aircraft (CAR 202.15)...
A Canadian resident (U.S. Citzen) can own a Canadian airplane in Canada, assuming all taxes have been paid, etc.That would include an aircraft with origin in Canada or an American one imported to Canada. However, in order to fly a Canadian aircraft in Canada, one must hold a Canadian license. My information is also that if one's U.S. license includes the IFR rating, that he/she must obtain a Canadian IFR ticket as the test and rules are different. I cannot cite paragraphs, but this is from inquiries I made on my own behalf and I believe the information is accurate. A visiting American in an American aircraft can fly in Canada without a Canadian license, VFR or IFR. Go figure.

Edit: The CAR defines a Canadian as whatever the Transportation Act says:
?Canadian?​

? Canadien ?

?Canadian? means a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident within the meaning of subsection 2(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, a government in Canada or an agent of such a government or a corporation or other entity that is incorporated or formed under the laws of Canada or a province, that is controlled in fact by Canadians and of which at least seventy-five per cent, or such lesser percentage as the Governor in Council may by regulation specify, of the voting interests are owned and controlled by Canadians;

Last edited:
hevansrv7a said:
?Canadian? means a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident within the meaning of subsection 2(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
Thanks for digging into that. This means a Landed Immigrant can own an aircraft. That make sense.

One thing to double check. I have a Canadian PPL and an FAA license.

A very subtle and overlooked issue is the medical. In Canada, over-40's have a two-year medical interval, whereas the USA is one year (this may be changing soon).

I've been told (and it's worth more detailed investigation) that the US does not recognize the second year of this medical.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge of medical issues can reply.

V. Little

vlittle said:
... In Canada, over-40's have a two-year medical interval, whereas the USA is one year (this may be changing soon).
V. Little
I have a U.S. 3rd class medical that's good for two years. I have never had one that was any more or less. I've been flying about 30 years. I turned 64 this year. I recently looked at my friend's medical with him. It, too, was good for two years. He is 87. I conclude that "over-40= 1-year" is not true for U.S. 3rd class. Maybe for the more advanced certificates?

FAR Part 61.23 has your ans...

Summary:

Prior to Sept 16, 1996, 24 calendar months
On or after Sept 16, 1996:
- 36 calendar months if < 40 years old before date of exam
- 24 calendar months if >= 40 years old on or before date of exam

Can I renew my medical a couple of months early to get a free year?

... Paragraph 3

(3) A third-class medical certificate for operations requiring a recreational pilot certificate, a private pilot certificate, a flight instructor certificate (when acting as pilot in command or a required pilot flight crewmember in operations other than glider or balloon), or a student pilot certificate issued--

(i) Before September 16, 1996, expires at the end of the 24th month after the month of the date of examination shown on the certificate; or

(ii) On or after September 16, 1996, expires at the end of:

(A) The 36th month after the month of the date of the examination shown on the certificate if the person has not reached his or her 40th birthday on or before the date of examination; or

(B) The 24th month after the month of the date of the examination shown on the certificate if the person has reached his or her 40th birthday on or before the date of the examination.

/\/elson