ao.frog

Well Known Member
Hi people.

I'm about ready to order the engine and FF-kit for my second -7.
In my first -7, I have the 90* angle oilfilter adapter but I'm wondering if it's worth the money? (ACS has them for approx 300 USD)

I have never tried changing the oilfilter on an engine WITHOUT the 90* adapter, so I'm wondering how difficult it really is on a -7 to change the oilfilter with the straight version?
Will it be difficult due to the small space beetween the FF and the engine for example?

On the oilfilter changes I've done so far on my first -7, I've made a small mess regardless of the 90* adapter anyway, so maybe I could go for the straight oilfilter this time and save myself 300 USD?

So what do you say people: is the 90* adapter worth it's money?

Last edited:
Never used the adaptor, but I think anything would be better than the parallel attachment. What a mess, every time. :eek: However, I can clean up a lot of messes for 300USD. :D

We have the 90 degree adapter on the RV-8, and a straight-mount on the -6. Either one can be changed with the same amount of "mess", but I find the one with the 90 degree adapter much, much easier to tighten and loosen. The straight-mount sticks back in to the firewall recess, and getting a wrench in there is a pain. Don't know if the -7 has more room between the engine and firewall or not.

Paul

If the seven is like the six, mine is an O-320. I have no problem with the stock filter system.

I just cut out the bottom of a quart milk jug so it would fit like a scoop under the filter. Keep the clutter clear of the filter and you won't have a problem.

I change my filter without any mess.

I have a 7-A with a superior xp360 and stock filter arrangement. An adult disposable diaper fits nicely under the filter an contains any mess you can possibly make. No. I don't use the diapers myself but I do get them from my hangar neighbor;)

Ariel

Punch two holes .....

....in the filter with an icepick. One on the top rear before you loossen it, then rotate it one half turn and punch another hole on the top rear for venting and catch the oil in said cut off jug or plastic cup that I stand on the heater box inlet.

On my -10, I made a V-shaped drain about 18" long from some scrap aluminum house flashing and stuck it under the oil filter/case rear and let the oil run down the Vee into a container on a short three-step ladder...no mess,

Best,

I take the plastic bag the filter comes in and slide it over the filter after I loosen it. I can avoid 90% of the mess. It takes a little practice, but I'm pretty goodf at it now. Several times with not a drip.

I take the plastic bag the filter comes in and slide it over the filter after I loosen it. I can avoid 90% of the mess. .

+1. A grocery store plastic bag works too. Just slide the handles over the
filter. I used this method on my -6 and now on my -8heh. There is significantly more room on the RV-8 (no firewall cutout like on the seven) between the filter and the firewall.

Tempest makes an oil filter drain tool that slips around the filter and pokes a hole on the "bottom" side. The oil drains thru a tube into a user-supplied container. Spruce was giving them away at SnF with the purchase of a case of filters. The tool sells for about $25.

Yes

I have the 90 degree on my ECI IO 360. I will usually heat the engine up before an oil change and then open the two quick releases and let it drain all night. Wrap the area around the filter with a rag, paper towel etc. Usually no residual oil. I feed the new safety wire before putting on the new filter to make things a little easier.

Friend has the same set up w/o the 90 degree fitting. He hates life when it is oil change time.

Definitely worth the money to keep the engine clean.

90* Oil Filter

I have one that's never been used for sale. The first $175.00 takes it. It comes with a filter too.. I swapped this out on a new engine for a remote ADC filter..

Fred Stucklen
RV-7A N924RV
Email: [email protected]
Cell: 860-490-3933

Hi people.

I'm about ready to order the engine and FF-kit for my second -7.
In my first -7, I have the 90* angle oilfilter adapter but I'm wondering if it's worth the money? (ACS has them for approx 300 USD)

I have never tried changing the oilfilter on an engine WITHOUT the 90* adapter, so I'm wondering how difficult it really is on a -7 to change the oilfilter with the straight version?
Will it be difficult due to the small space beetween the FF and the engine for example?

On the oilfilter changes I've done so far on my first -7, I've made a small mess regardless of the 90* adapter anyway, so maybe I could go for the straight oilfilter this time and save myself 300 USD?

So what do you say people: is the 90* adapter worth it's money?