FORANE

Well Known Member
It seems there are differing opinions on whether the so called stealth mode of the ADS600-EXP is really stealth.

From the Navworx site:
AutoStealth(tm) Mode:
The UAT technology is the only ADS-B equipment that will allow for privacy. Normally, ADS-B devices transmit the aircrafts ICAO number, a unique code that is assigned by the FAA to each aircraft. When flying VFR however, there is no need to let the FAA know who you are. The ADS600-EXP randomizes the ICAO whenever the squawk code is set to 1200. In addition, the N-Number of the aircraft configured is changed to "N0", an unassigned N-Number.

So, why have I heard some say and read some posts which state this is not the case?

Are you referring to my recent post? I pointed out to someone that he would not have privacy even with a UAT because he already had and used a mode S transponder. Mode S boxes have a unique ID assigned to each box, so as long as he was within radar coverage he had no privacy - his UAT did not matter.

Are you referring to my recent post? I pointed out to someone that he would not have privacy even with a UAT because he already had and used a mode S transponder. Mode S boxes have a unique ID assigned to each box, so as long as he was within radar coverage he had no privacy - his UAT did not matter.

Honestly Bob I am not sure. If I read what you posted above that situation would be obvious to me as you describe. I think I read something else or someone elses post. A week ago I had 1 guy at my home field building a Just SuperSTOL tell me the UAT was not anonymous.

But if I am reading the Navworx spec correctly, it provides the ADSB info out on a UAT.

http://www.navworx.com/products-ADS600-EXP.php

The transponder can remain as an old Mode C unit, which doesn't transmit out your ID code. All of that info, and your position, is embedded in the UAT data.

So keep a Mode C transponder to remain VFR anonymous. :)

If you have a Mode-S in the plane, you're never anonymous, even if you use UAT for ADS-B.

A UAT is only anonymous if:
(1) It's designed to support that mode (the Navworx does)
(2) You are squawking 1200

We tested this using the configuration software to toggle the stealth mode between our Navworx boxes at our airport.

When you see the traffic display on your EFIS, when non-stealth, it displays your tail number. Otherwise, Not.
At least it is, AC to AC.

Last edited:
Stealth works for 1200 only (as per dynon post) and is permitted as per the ADS-B published spec. Any UAT transmitter can randomize their ICAO number using a pre determined algorithm that takes the current time and uses that as a random seed to alter the ICAO value. Squawking any other value but 1200 disables this option.

Hi Dan! Nice to meet you at the NavWorx booth last week.

Stealth works for 1200 only (as per dynon post) and is permitted as per the ADS-B published spec. Any UAT transmitter can randomize their ICAO number using a pre determined algorithm that takes the current time and uses that as a random seed to alter the ICAO value. Squawking any other value but 1200 disables this option.

Hi Dan! Nice to meet you at the NavWorx booth last week.

Thanks Neal. You have a great team there. I enjoyed finally meeting Bethany. We talked on the phone so often, we were like family. :)

Probably will see you all again at Oshkosh.

Btw, great job on the app.

Installers are contacting the FAA via email to see if the "quality" of their signal passes muster. Can I presume they have been using an assigned squawk code?
Clearly, the output signal is tied to your N number. I remember when the Alaska commercial pilots were cautious about the FAA watching their N numbers and altitudes. The issue sort of just faded away in time as Capstone ADS-B equipage expanded.

Installers are contacting the FAA via email to see if the "quality" of their signal passes muster. Can I presume they have been using an assigned squawk code?
Clearly, the output signal is tied to your N number. I remember when the Alaska commercial pilots were cautious about the FAA watching their N numbers and altitudes. The issue sort of just faded away in time as Capstone ADS-B equipage expanded.

I have emailed the FAA to see if my 2 installations have been compliant. On both planes I had been flying them with stealth mode disabled and on some flights I had been talking with ATC with an assigned code.

I wonder if anyone tried an install, engaged stealth mode in the setup (they come with stealth disabled), exclusively squaked 1200, then contacted ATC to request a compliance report.