Scremm

I've hunted through previous posts and through the internet but I haven't found a definitive answer. I'm looking to replace one of my Slick mags with an electronic ignition and I thought that this group would for sure know the answer and what needs to be accomplished to meet the regs.

Thanks in advance.

Thats interesting MEL.

Here in Australia, most CASA AP's as best I am aware would consider this a deviation from a known certified device. Even though there are plenty EI's around.

Typically they will issue a 40 hour Phase 1 Vs a 25 hour. Not all of them but many do.

So what is it the FAA designated folk consider the line in the sand?

I think we are talking about 2 different scenarios. If you start out with an EI, then the engine is no longer certified and receives a 40 hr. phase I.

I understood the question to be about an already flying aircraft. If the aircraft is already flying, a change to EI would not be considered a major change.

Last edited:
Mel, noted he has a 6. Does it matter, minor or major? Not verified, so just curious. I know AEA legal has has been giving seminars on minor mod definition but it primarily is of concern to the non exp. folks. What am I forgetting?

Hi a Guys,

I swapped from Mags to P-Mags and my AP asked me to put the aircraft back into Phase 1 for as long as I considered necessary to verify safety of flight, for me that was 5 hours and then a log book entry moving me back into Phase 2.

Mel, noted he has a 6. Does it matter, minor or major? Not verified, so just curious. I know AEA legal has has been giving seminars on minor mod definition but it primarily is of concern to the non exp. folks. What am I forgetting?

Cheers

I've hunted through previous posts and through the internet but I haven't found a definitive answer. I'm looking to replace one of my Slick mags with an electronic ignition and I thought that this group would for sure know the answer and what needs to be accomplished to meet the regs.

Hi Claudio,

The regs say:

?21.93 Classification of changes in type design.

(a) In addition to changes in type design specified in paragraph (b) of this section, changes in type design are classified as minor and major. A ?minor change? is one that has no appreciable effect on the weight, balance, structural strength, reliability, operational characteristics, or other characteristics affecting the airworthiness of the product. All other changes are ?major changes? (except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section).

I am in the process of changing a mag to an EI, and asked my FSDO this very question. I was told it is considered a major change, and will be putting my plane back into Phase 1 for 5 hours.

They did not say specifically, but I can easily see where an argument can be made that changing from a mag to an EI affects "reliability" (hopefully increases it! :), and potentially the "operational characteristics".

Just noted your signature that says you are in Maine, as am I (Brunswick). So, I would imagine if you contacted the Portland FSDO they would give you the same answer that I got. BTW, come to our EAA Chapter 87 Fly In at KBXM on 21 June!

-Dj

Last edited:
Hi Claudio,

The regs say:

?21.93 Classification of changes in type design.

(a) In addition to changes in type design specified in paragraph (b) of this section, changes in type design are classified as minor and major. A ?minor change? is one that has no appreciable effect on the weight, balance, structural strength, reliability, operational characteristics, or other characteristics affecting the airworthiness of the product. All other changes are ?major changes? (except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section).

I am in the process of changing a mag to an EI, and asked my FSDO this very question. I was told it is considered a major change, and will be putting my plane back into Phase 1 for 5 hours.

They did not say specifically, but I can easily see where an argument can be made that changing from a mag to an EI affects "reliability" (hopefully increases it! :), and potentially the "operational characteristics".

Just noted your signature that says you are in Maine, as am I (Brunswick). So, I would imagine if you contacted the Portland FSDO they would give you the same answer that I got. BTW, come to our EAA Chapter 87 Fly In at KBXM on 21 June!

-Dj

I am glad to see that others are of the same view.

It is my opinion, based on what I have seen that going to an EI is of concern for reliability and operational characteristics.

If one is to follow some suppliers maintenance requirements they are far more maintenance intensive, and as a result suffer from MIF (refer Mike Busch on that topic)

Secondly they can be far too aggressively advanced, and speaking with one guy who ought to know more on this topic than anyone, his advice is stick with the mags.

If you do fit them, use the least aggressive settings and understand that the typical magneto on an O360 4 cylinder has an effective retard of 2-3 degrees from where you static time the mag to where it fires the spark. If your EI is able to fire accurately without this delay you have another 2-3 degrees of advance than the EI gives you. Think about this and understand the science, not the sales blurb.

In ATL it is

According to Steve Newcomer of the ATL FSDO two summers ago when I did the EI in the -6 I had to put it back into Phase I for 5 hours.

Looks like I'll have to do the same to the -8 in a few weeks.

If you (like me) bought rather than building, check your Ops Lims. Both my aircraft required new Ops Lims for Phase I testing.

It looks like my operating limits are fairly standard. It requires that I notify the FSDO of the proposed test area. Then it's five hours minimum, unless the FSDO requests more. When that's done it's a logbook sign off with canned wording.

If the weather co-operates I may be able to fly up to the Brunswick flyin.....:cool: