mikeangiulo

My center section looks like it is warped or something. The vertcial webs on both sides of the fuselage are wavy and can be moved around by hand. They look like they were under preload or something when drilled.

This is confusing because I don't remember ever noticing this. The only thing I've done recently is lift the tail to install the HS but I can't imagine that causing this kind of distortion. I think when I attach the caps to each of these it will pull them in place but what is going on? This is in my garage which has been relatively constant at, say, 55 degrees so I don't think this is thermal expansion. Has anyone else seen this?

buckling2ov3.jpg

bucklinggm0.jpg

Thanks - I thought it was strange because I hadn't noticed it at all before. Maybe they were all bowed in the same direction before I started working inside the fuse.

Anyway I appreciate the quick replies!

Use It or Lose It

As mentioned, that buckling is perfectly normal. Something to consider while you are focused on the bulkhead caps. The dimensions are much wider than they are in the -6 series and as such, lend themselves to useful, creative use. As far as I know, no one else has done this. I cut access covers into the bulkhead caps and am glad I did. Into the wiring phase of the project, being able to route wires through the bulkhead at odd angles greatly eases that particuliar chore. Because internal access is available now and in the future, I am seriously considering adding a rheostat (with service loop) on the upper cover of the starboard cap. No telling what I may want to add later.