larrynew

Well Known Member
Is my canopy OK? The bottom edges on both sides are wavy and an aft corner is broken off. The broken piece wasn't in the box so I can only guess it was packed that way. Will both of these areas be trimmed off?

Canopy%25201.JPG

Canopy%25202.JPG

Thanks,

Yeah, you're gonna cut all that stuff. But it's still lame to pack a broken canopy.

One thing I would do is take a die grinder with a cutting wheel and slice across that piece , then progressively sand it smooth.

As it is, it seems to me, that's inviting a stress fracture to develop.

Of course, when i was building and slowly trimming sides and front, I'd sand it down to 600 grit on every pass as if it was the final product, just because I was scared to death of something cracking. Probably overblown fear, but it kept me honest.

Think so

Hi Larry

Most of the back corners get chopped off so that chip should be no problem at all, just don't let it start a crack from there while working on it, I would suggest cutting that corner crack and polishing the edge.

The waves on the side should also be ok, at least 50 mm get trimmed eventually.

Check out the some pics here
http://rv6aj.wordpress.com/2012/04/02/trimming-canopy-to-size/

Thanks Bob and AJ,

Thought they would get cut off but wanted to double check before the inventory time elapsed.

Good pics, AJ. I couldn't help but notice that your yard work is the same as mine in relation to my neighbors. I know they'll be glad when I finish this plane and can get back to "keeping up with the Joneses".

Last edited:
Thanks Bob and AJ,

Thought they would get cut off but wanted to double check before the inventory time elapsed.

Good pics, AJ. I couldn't help but notice that your yard work is the same as mine in relation to my neighbors. I know they'll be glad when I finish this plane and can get back to "keeping up with the Joneses".

I'm slowly learning that "when the plane is finished" is pretty much the same as "when the kids are grown." It just doesn't work the way you think.:D