burgundyja

Well Known Member
in the wing section my build manual does not have the pages with the little boxes to check off what you have done. it does have that in the emp and the fusalage section.

My -7 build manual has no checkboxes for anything after the empennage. I think they expect you to start forming your own to-do lists from the more general instructions as the kit progresses. If you want, draw little boxes in the margin and check things off as you complete them!

The instructions get a lot more vague as you progress, so I've heard. I'm into the wings, and there is definitely less detail than on the empennage plans.

It's the law of halves...

Each section is half as specific and detailed as the one that proceeded it.

Checkboxes for the Empenage? Hmm, they must have improved the instructions since I built my tail feathers. The "hand holding" is over after the empennage.

"The law of halves...", good one, I like that.

Tracy.

Checkboxes for the Empenage? Hmm, they must have improved the instructions since I built my tail feathers. The "hand holding" is over after the empennage.

"The law of halves...", good one, I like that.

Tracy.
I had to pull out my manual, which sits under my desk, and sure enough, my memory has not failed me. There are no check boxes in my manual circa 2003.

It is good to know they are improving the manuals.

There were a number of mistakes and errors in my manual and after about the fourth time I called and/or emailed Van's with the correction I got the impression they just didn't care so I stopped giving them updates. :(

"Back when I built mine..."

Yeah, I don't have a fancy checklist either!

Now we "old-timers" can sound like the -6 builders who reminded us what is was like back when there "wasn't no pre-punched holes and **** quick-build kits":)

Roger
-9A

I ordered my empennage in December 2007, and I don't have any checklist boxes on mine - empennage or wings. The instructions tend to be written in short paragraphs, 2-5 sentence groupings for a specific task, and what I do is use a highlighter to draw an X over each paragraph as I've completed that one. That way it's visually identifiable what's been done, and you can still go back and read all the directions for a completed section if you need to.

Second helpful tip - the FIRST THING you do when you receive a new kit - MAKE COPIES of the work instructions. You are gauranteed to lose pages, rip pages, or smear blood or proseal, spill a beverage, etc. all over them at some point. This goes for the inventory sheets as well - these will come in VERY handy when/if you have to order more parts for any particular sub-assembly later in the life of the aircraft, say to repair some type of damage.

Last edited:
Just an FYI. I think I read somewhere that you are entitled to one "free" replacement copy of the builders manual.

Tracy.

RV8-1 Fuse Does

The instructions which come with the match-hole '-1' fuselage are check boxes. The wing and finish kit instructions are 'old-style'.

What checkboxes

And better yet, the instructions do get more vague.

As the instructions get more vague, the plans get more detail. Go figure.

Your intuition gets better too until the last few parts when the VAF site turns into a much needed resource. 25 bucks a year for DR is a bargain.

It's all Good

I am finishing my fuselage and maybe the written instructions have a little less information but the plans are very detailed and I am having very little confusion about what to do next or how things should be done. I am still amazed how well everything fits together. Van's makes a wonderful product even for someone like me that has never built an aluminum anything before.