JKevin

Well Known Member
Just a scenario followed by a question:

I have a line on an engine which was just removed for an upgrade. It's a 320 ready for a controllable pitch propeller; just the engine I want. It is mid-late time, and is being flown regularly. Maintenance, oil analysis, etc. all good. And the price is right.

The engine was removed about 10 days ago. It was initially going to be sold and installed immediately, so a pickling kit was not used. The instructions I have read for the Tanis pickling kit call for the engine to be ran and brought to operating temperature with the preservative in the oil. This is not an option in this case.

That deal fell through and the engine is available to me.

Only problem: my -6 bulkheads are going on the jig this week. Realistically, I am at least a year from hanging the engine, maybe that long again before being ready for first flight.

So my question: is it too soon to buy? Anything I can do short of running the engine to preserve it?

Thanks in advance.

Just a scenario followed by a question:

I have a line on an engine which was just removed for an upgrade. It's a 320 ready for a controllable pitch propeller; just the engine I want. It is mid-late time, and is being flown regularly. Maintenance, oil analysis, etc. all good. And the price is right.

The engine was removed about 10 days ago. It was initially going to be sold and installed immediately, so a pickling kit was not used. The instructions I have read for the Tanis pickling kit call for the engine to be ran and brought to operating temperature with the preservative in the oil. This is not an option in this case.

That deal fell through and the engine is available to me.

Only problem: my -6 bulkheads are going on the jig this week. Realistically, I am at least a year from hanging the engine, maybe that long again before being ready for first flight.

So my question: is it too soon to buy? Anything I can do short of running the engine to preserve it?

Thanks in advance.

I picked up an O320-D2J from the local flying club with 2350 hours, did not fly it for 1.5 years, it went on to 4000 hours before I sold the plane. Was not pickled.

Usual rule is to buy when a good deal presents itself

Buy it.

I had a similar scenario when I built my 6A. I kept the engine in my heated/dehumidified garage, stored upside down so oil bathed the camshaft, with desiccant plugs installed.

Again, if it's the engine you want at the right price, go for it.

Others will chime in, of course, but the real reason to pickle and seal up for storage is to avoid moisture condensation in the engine and resulting potential corrosion. Cool, dry storage in a vacuum bag or similar sealed bag with air removed plus desiccant spark plug replacements can go a long way. Is the oil in the engine now just changed/clean at least?

It's always an option (with some expense included) to put an engine on a test stand to run it/pickle it I'd think. Maybe there are other options.

If it was me, I think I'd make sure it had clean oil in it, put desiccant plugs in it and monitor them, bag/seal it and vacuum out the air, and put it in my house where the temperature is fairly steady and humidity is low/controlled. Harder to get moisture-related corrosion if there's no water to speak of and no significant temp swings.